A lot easier than the traditional Polish sourdough, the chleb zytni na drozdzach is a yeast-based Polish rye bread that can be made in about an hour. Perfect for weeknight dinners or early morning bread and butter!
What Is Chleb Żytni Na Drożdżach?
Humans have been eating bread for over 14,000 years. It’s believed that the Ancient Egyptians were the first to make bread from flour. From there, the bread making technique spread to Greece, Rome, and the rest of the world.
Bread has been around for centuries in Poland, from wheat bread to rye bread, to breads made with yeast or sour dough.
The chleb zytni na drozdzach is a simple rye bread recipe made with yeast that you can bake right away, or rather in under an hour. It’s so different from the traditional Polish bread that is made using the sourdough starter that takes 5 to 7 days to ferment.
The delicious chleb zytni has a crunchy crust and soft center that’s perfect for buttered toast or with a hearty Polish soup.
How To Make Polish Rye Bread With Yeast Recipe
Warm the water and mix with rest of the ingredients by hand or using a food processor. You don’t need to proof the yeast, since you’re using instant yeast.
Leave the rye bread dough to rest for about 40 minutes just like the spelt bread, then put it in an oiled bread pan and leave for a second rise for 25 minutes.
Once the bread has rye risen again, bake for about 45 minutes, cool, and serve!
Tips For Making Polish Rye Bread With Yeast Recipe
- You can substitute rye flour with spelt flour or wheat four in any amount.
- You can sprinkle the rye bread with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- For a crunchy texture, add some seeds in the bread dough while kneading it.
- You can coat the bread with oil before baking.
- Serve chleb zytni with butter, honey, or scrambled eggs for breakfast.
- It’s also perfect as a side for regular Polish soups or sour Polish soups.
FAQs About Chleb Żytni Na Drożdżach Bread
What Other Polish Breads Should I Try?
Other Polish breads that you’ll like are:
- Podplomyki flatbreads
- Braided chalka bread
- Spelt flour bread
- Murzin Easter bread
- Yeast-based rye bread
- Rodzynkami sweet raisin bread
- Bread with dried fruits
How Long Do I Knead The Rye Bread Dough?
Knead the rye bread dough till it doesn’t stick to your hands or the pot anymore.
How Do I Know If The Second Rise Is Complete?
Once the dough doubles in size, the second rise is complete. Bake it immediately. If you wait for too long, the bread will fall.
Do I Have To Use Instant Yeast?
No, it’s not essential to use instant yeast. You can use fresh yeast if you prefer. If you use fresh yeast, make sure you proof the yeast with water or milk before using.
How To Store Chleb Zytni Na Drozdzach?
You can store Polish rye bread in a covered dish for 4 to 5 days on the counter top.
Polish Rye Bread With Yeast Recipe [Chleb Żytni Na Drożdżach]
- 4 cups of rye flour
- 1 ½ of warm water
- 1 ½ tbsp of instant yeast
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of sugar
- 2 tbsps of oil / olive oil
- Warm up the water.
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead the dough in a bowl or using the food processor.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen cloth and place it in a warm place. Leave the dough to grow for 40 minutes.
- Oil the bread pan using your hand or pastry brush.
- After 40 minutes, knead the dough again and place it in the oiled bread pan.
- Cover the pan with a kitchen cloth and wait for another 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- After 25 minutes, place the bread inside the oven and bake for about 45 minutes.
You may mix different kinds of flour if you don't have enough rye bread. For example add 2 cups of rye bread and 2 cups of spelt flour, all-purpose flour, etc.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this chleb żytni na drożdżach Polish rye bread with yeast recipe? Let us know in the comments below!