Chleb orkiszowy is an easy spelt bread recipe made in most Polish homes across the land. Easy to prepare in 90 minutes it’s the perfect accompaniment for many popular Polish dishes!
Easy Spelt Flour Bread Recipe [Chleb Orkiszowy]
There’s a tradition in Poland to greet visitors with bread and salt (chlebem i solą). Originating with the nobles of the Staropolska region, it’s considered a gesture of good will!
Of course, it could be any Polish bread that was served, from rye bread to wheat bread to spelt flour bread.
What is spelt flour bread?
Spelt flour bread or chleb orkiszowy as it’s called is simply bread made with a mix of wheat flour and spelt flour. Some people also call it bulka orkiszowy.
Spelt flour is healthier than wheat flour as it’s made from the entire grain of wheat – endosperm, germ and bran. Spelt flour is lower in gluten than wheat flour, so is a good substitute if you’re trying to reduce gluten from your diet.
Legends say that spelt bread was so nutritious that it eaten by the gladiators in Rome. In modern times too we find it quite good.
We can easily use instant yeast to make the bread in less than two hours.
The spelt bread can be served with many traditional Polish dishes. It’s also good enough to simply toast for breakfast and lather with butter or serve with some cooked kielbasa sausages.
How To Make This Polish Spelt Flour Bread
The easy spelt bread recipe is perfect for healthy-ish homemade bread when you have just a few hours to make it.
Warm up the milk, proof the yeast, and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Knead the dough, cover with a kitchen cloth and leave to rise for half an hour.
Grease the bread pan with oil. Knead the bread dough again and place in the bread pan. Leave it alone for another 15 minutes for a second rise.
Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C) and bake the spelt flour bread for about 45 minutes. Serve warm with butter or as a side for other dishes!
Tips For Scrumptious Homemade Spelt Flour Bread
- You can add rye flour to the dough if you like. Just reduce the same amount of wheat flour or spelt flour.
- This bread is low in calories but has many proteins, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, calcium as well as vitamins A, D, E.
- Chleb orkiszowy contains a lot of fiber which is good for the digestive system.
- If you’re allergic to milk, replace it with warm water.
- You can sprinkle the spelt bread with sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- For a crunchy bread, you can also mix these seeds in the bread dough before baking.
- Use a toothpick or wooden stick to poke the bread and check if it’s fully baked.
- Serve spelt bread any meaty Polish dish!
- Or eat as a toasted snack topped with butter and honey.
FAQs About Making Polish Chleb Orkiszowy
How To Pronounce Chleb?
Chleb is pronounced kleb or kh-leb depending on the regional accent.
How To Prononunce Orkiszowy?
Orkiszowy is pronounced or-kish-ow-vee.
What Other Polish Breads Should I Try?
Other Polish breads that you’ll like are:
- Podplomyki flatbreads
- Braided chalka bread
- Murzin Easter bread
- Yeast-based rye bread
- Rodzynkami sweet raisin bread
- Bread with dried fruits
What Type Of Pan Should I Use For Polish Spelt Bread?
Why Does My Bread Fall Flat In The Oven?
If your bread falls flat in the oven, it means that you left it in the second rise for too long. Next time, try a shorter rise time.
Otherwise, it can also mean that the bread dough was too wet. Try lesser water next time.
How To Store Polish Spelt Bread?
You can store spelt bread on the counter in a covered dish for 4 to 5 days.
Easy Spelt Flour Bread Recipe [Chleb Orkiszowy]
- 3 cups of spelt flour
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp of instant yeast
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of salt
- Warm up the milk.
- Mix all the ingredients together and knead the dough in a bowl or using the food processor.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen cloth and place it in a warm place. Leave the dough to grow for 30 minutes.
- Oil the bread pan using your hand or pastry brush.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again and place it in the oiled bread pan.
- Cover the pan with a kitchen cloth and wait for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- After 15 minutes, place the bread inside the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this chleb orkiszowy spelt flour bread recipe? Let us know in the comments below!