Domowy Ser Zolty, a savory golden Polish cheese is made at home using dried herbs and farmer’s cheese. Enjoy it with some saltine crackers, veggie sticks, or on its own.
The Perfect Golden Cheese – Ser Zolty
Did you know that the average Pole eats 12 to 13 kgs (23,5-28,6 lbs) of cheese every year? The 6th largest producer of cheese in the world, Poland is home to over 600 types of different cheeses that were made in Poland in the 20th century.
In Poland, tawrog, farmer’s cheese, oscypek, and other cheese are quite popular. Another easy to make at home Polish cheese, the ser zolty can be made sweet or savory using dried fruits or dried spices and herbs. We prefer the savory version!
This domowy ser zolty is golden in color and spiced with dried pepper flakes, cumin, or other dried herbs. Perfect for a picnic lunch or a dinner party snack!
How To Make Ser Zolty – Homemade Polish Cheese
Start by boiling the milk with farmer’s cheese. You can make the farmer’s cheese at home using this recipe, or buy it from the store. Cook on a low flame for 15 minutes till the farmer’s cheese and milk clump together.
Once done, drain with a sieve and set aside.
In another mixing bowl, beat the egg and spices together.
After this, melt butter on a skillet and add the beaten egg mixture and strained cheese to it. Fry for about 10 minutes while mixing continuously.
Allow it to cool down and then refrigerate. Cut into slices before serving!
Tips For Making Homemade Polish Cheese
- You can replace the dried pepper flakes with any other herbs of your choice.
- Use a round pan if you want to cut into wedges easier.
- Enjoy it with some saltine crackers, toasted bread, chopped red or yellow pepper sticks, or on its own.
- If you want to make the cheese from scratch, make the farmer’s cheese at home too!
- This cheese is gluten-free and vegetarian.
FAQs About Making Homemade Polish Cheese
What Is The Difference Between Ser Zolty And Farmer’s Cheese?
Farmer’s cheese is a traditional Polish cheese made with raw or unpasteurized milk. Ser zolty is a savory Polish cheese made with a mix of milk, farmer’s cheese, and spices.
How Long Can I Store Ser Zolty?
Ser Zolty can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 to 8 days. Do not refrigerate as it will change its texture.
Who Invented The Ser Zolty?
No one really knows who invented the ser zolty golden cheese, but Poland has been producing cheese in various forms as far back as the Neolithic times (5500 BC) when something similar to mozzarella was made in Kujawy, Poland.
What Are The Other Polish Dishes Made With Farmer’s Cheese?
Other dishes made with farmer’s cheese are:
Homemade Polish Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 lb (½ kg) of farmer's cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ½ tbsp of salt
- ½ tsp of white pepper
- ½ cup (125g) of butter
- 2 tbsps of dried pepper flakes / whole cumin seeds / any dried herbs [Optional]
- Pour the milk into the pot, then bring to boil.
- Add farmer's cheese (buy it on Amazon or make your own using this recipe) and mix.
- Cook slowly for about 15 minutes until farmer's cheese will merge with milk.
- Drain on the strainer lined with gauze.
- Using a fork, beat an egg with spices.
- Melt butter on the skillet.
- Add strained cheese and beaten egg.
- Fry for about 10 minutes, mixing all the time.
- Pour the mixture onto the bowl/pan, then press it using a spoon.
- Cool off then put into the fridge. You can keep it there for up to 7 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this homemade Polish cheese recipe? Let us know in the comments below!