Watrobka drobiowa is a Polish offal dish made with chicken liver. Healthy and full of nutrients, it’s easy to make and tasty! A great addition to the diet too!
About Polish Wątróbka Drobiowa!
A quick and healthy meal, chicken liver with onions is also healthy and nutritious. As a good source of Vitamin B12, it’s a natural remedy for fatigue, muscle weakness, depression, and more.
It also contains good quantities of iron, Vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, Vitamin A, and many trace minerals. In fact, chicken liver is often added to the diet when pregnant and breastfeeding as it replenishes the body’s store of vitamins.
Plus, chicken liver is milder in flavor than beef liver or pork liver. So it’s a lot more palatable!
When made with onions it’s called wątróbka kurza z cebulą, and when made with apples and onions it’s called wątróbka kurza z jabłkiem i cebulą. Of course, you can make many more variations by adding fruits and veggies of your choice – pears, peaches, leeks, celery, etc.
Easy to make in 30 minutes, the soft creamy liver with caramelized onions is perfect for increasing your nutrient intake!
How To Make Polish Chicken Liver – Wątróbka Drobiowa
Polish chicken livers are easy to cook in less than 30 minutes. Simply start by washing the chicken livers and removing all the membranes. Use paper towels to pat the livers dry and then coat them with flour.
Fry the chicken liver in oil for a few minutes, turning them over a few times.
While the livers are frying, cut a peeled onion into half-moons. Once the liver has fried, move it to a plate and fry the onion in the same pan. You can also fry some diced apples with the onions.
Finally, add the livers back with salt and pepper, and allow to simmer for a while. Once done, serve with any sides of your choice!
Tips For Making Polish Chicken Liver Recipe
- If you’re worried about the taste, soak the liver in milk for an hour before cooking.
- Want it spicy? Add more ground pepper or add some paprika!
- If you want it sweeter, add a tablespoon of honey to the onions while frying.
- Buying good quality liver from free-range raised hens is also important!
- You can use the same recipe with beef liver or pork liver.
- Use pork lard instead of oil for more flavor.
- You can skip the apples or replace them with pears.
- You can add dried cranberries or raisins to the onions while frying!
FAQs About Wątróbka Drobiowa – Chicken Liver
Why Do People Eat Dishes Made With Offal?
Offal meats such as kidneys, liver, heart, or tongues are full of nutrients, much more than the actual meat portions of pork, chicken, or other animal meat. They’re also a lot healthier. So it’s good to include them in the diet.
What Other The Other Popular Polish Offal Dishes To Try?
Many Polish dishes are made with offal ingredients such as liver, kidneys, hearts, or feet. Some popular Polish offal dishes are:
How To Make The Liver Soft?
Do not add salt to the dish while cooking it as this will make the liver rubbery in texture. To keep the chicken liver soft, only add salt at the end after the liver is cooked. If you wish, you can also soak it in milk for an hour before cooking. The milk will make the liver softer and less bitter.
What To Serve With Watrobka Drobiowa?
Serve the Polish watrobka drobiowa with any of the following:
- Crunchy toasted rye bread
- Boiled potatoes
- Beetroot salad
- Dill Pickles
- Mizeria salad
- Kapusta Kiszona
How To Store Leftover Polish Pork Liver?
Store the leftover liver in a covered dish in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days and reheat before serving. Pork liver can also last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Polish Chicken Liver Recipe [Wątróbka Drobiowa]
- 28 oz (800g) of chicken liver
- 5 tbsps of all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps of oil
- 2 onions
- 2 apples (optional)
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
- Wash the chicken livers and remove all the white parts (the strings and membranes).
- Dry the livers using kitchen paper towels.
- Coat the livers with flour and fry them with oil for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- In the meantime, peel the onions and cut them into half-moons.
- Remove the fried liver and set aside. Fry the onion on the same pan/skillet.
- Wash apples and cut them into quarters or dice them.
- Add the apples to the onion and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the livers, salt, and pepper back to the pan/skillet.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 1156mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 51g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this wątróbka drobiowa Polish chicken liver recipe? Let us know in the comments below!