Buckwheat mushroom soup is a vegetarian Polish recipe that you’ll love. Made with fresh mushrooms, veggies, onions and buckwheat, it’s nutritious and bursting with flavor!
Buckwheat Mushroom Soup Recipe
With no specific origin, the buckwheat mushroom is popular in most Eastern European countries.
The soup included veggies and fresh mushrooms that we collected from the forest. Rich and creamy, buckwheat mushroom soup was a welcome difference from the simplicity of porridge, and we enjoyed it both as a snack or as a meal.
What Is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat or kasza gryczana in the Polish language is a plant that produces seeds that look like grains. Despite its name, it does not belong to the wheat family and is a pseudocereal.
The common version of buckwheat in Europe is fagopyrum esculentum, but other versions such as fagopyrum tataricum or green buckwheat are also eaten.
The buckwheat plant is often considered a superfood because it’s nutritious, full of fiber and protein, and has many health benefits. Plus, it’s good for weight loss!
How To Make Buckwheat Mushroom Soup
Cook the buckwheat with dried soup veggies in broth or water till soft. Broth adds more flavor than water. You can use this leftover chicken broth recipe, but if you don’t have broth at home, you can use any store-bought broth.
While the broth is cooking, dice an onion. Then, slice the mushrooms and fry them in butter.
Add the onions and mushrooms to the broth and season with salt and pepper.
After turning off the heat, wait for a few minutes before slowly adding the sour cream.
Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve hot!
Tips For Buckwheat Mushroom Soup Recipe
- If you don’t get wild mushrooms, you can use fresh button mushrooms.
- Add boiled diced chicken to the soup if you prefer.
- Add chopped celery or leeks if you prefer.
- Add a glass of red wine if you want it rich and tangy.
- Add more onions if you want it sweeter.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, use veg soup broth.
- If you’re making extra soup as meal prep, don’t add the cream till the day you eat it.
- Serve with croutons or toasted bread.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley and sour cream before serving!
FAQs About The Buckwheat Mushroom Soup
Do I Have To Use Dried Soup Veggies?
No, dried soup veggies are used to save the time spent peeling and chopping them. You can use freshly chopped veggies if you want to. Good options to use are onions, carrots, peas, potatoes, bell peppers, green beans, or celery.
What Other Polish Dishes Can I Make With Buckwheat?
Other Polish dishes that can be made with buckwheat are:
- Buckwheat pancakes
- Kaczka faszerowana miesem, duck stuffed with buckwheat and apples
- Vegan golabki
- Buckwheat and chicken bowl
- Kasha porridge
- Polish blood sausage
What Other Polish Dishes Can I Make With Mushrooms?
There are many Polish dishes that can be made with mushrooms. Here are just a few to choose from:
- Mushroom stuffed pork chops
- Goulash and mushrooms
- Sauerkraut and mushrooms
- Zupa Pieczarkowa
- Hunter’s Stew
- Paszteciki z kapusta i grzybami
- Uszka dumplings
How To Store Buckwheat Mushroom Soup?
Buckwheat mushroom soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
Can Buckwheat Mushroom Soup Be Frozen?
No, since the soup contains heavy cream, it’s best not to freeze it.
If you really want to freeze the soup, do it before adding the cream and it will last for 3 to 4 months in the freezer. Reheat before serving and add the heavy cream at that time.
Buckwheat Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 gal (3.7l) of broth
- 1 ¼ cup of buckwheat
- 2 ½ tbsps of dried veggies
- 25 oz (700g) of mushrooms
- 1 big onion
- 2 tbsps of butter
- 1 tbsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground black pepper
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- Use ready-to-buy broth or cook your own broth using this recipe.
- Cook buckwheat with dried veggies in broth until soft.
- In the meantime, peel and dice an onion.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the onions and mushrooms together with butter.
- Add them to the broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat, wait for 3-5 minutes and pour the sour cream very slowly, stirring all the time.
- Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 947mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this buckwheat mushroom soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!