It truly tastes like Poland. Mushroom hunting is a popular summer activity in the country, so if you want to try another of the authentic Polish dishes, you need to check out this goulash with mushrooms recipe!
Tips For Making Goulash With Mushrooms
Use Fresh Mushrooms If You Want.
In the season, use fresh mushrooms if you have them. Wild mushrooms (penny bun, bay bolete) would be the best, however, good old champignons would work as well.
Serve It With Add-ons
The most popular are:
- groats (especially buckwheat)
- potatoes (mashed, boiled, or baked)
- french fries
- potato pancakes (placki ziemniaczane)
- kopytka (Polish gnocchi)
- kluski śląskie
See also my Polish dried mushroom soup recipe.
Goulash With Mushrooms Recipe
- 1.5 lb of pork shoulder
- 2 onions
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 4 oz of dried mushrooms
- 1½ tsps of salt
- 1 tsp of the powdered pepper
- 3 juniper berries
- 2 allspice berries
- a pinch of thyme
- a pinch of coriander
- 1 tablespoon of lard / 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1½ of water
- Wash and dice the meat (½’’/ ½’’ each piece).
- Mix all the spices together.
- Coat the meat with the spices mix and let it rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- Cover the mushrooms with water and leave them overnight. The next day, cook until soft.
- Drain the mushrooms- leave the water from mushrooms, you will need it later.
- Fry the meat on the lard/oil until it changes the color to golden-brownish.
- Cover the meat with mushrooms and mushroom water.
- Cook for about 1,5 hours.
- Turn off the heat, and pour the heavy cream very slowly, making sure your goulash doesn't curdle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 338mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this goulash with mushrooms recipe? Let us know in the comments below!