The chlodnik ogorkowy is a Polish cold cucumber soup simply made with maslanka (buttermilk), chives, and dill cucumbers. Cold and refreshing, it’s another perfect Polish dish that can be ready in 10 minutes!
Chlodnik Ogorkowy, a popular Polish summer soup is said to have originated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship just like the cold beetroot soup.
The perfect taste of summer, this Polish dill cucumber soup is made with cucumbers, buttermilk or kefir, chives, and dill pickle water. Topped with dill pickle soup it’s the perfect cooler on warm summer days.
Cucumbers are so popular that there is a National Cucumber Day in USA, and World Cucumber Day for other countries is celebrated on 14th June every year.
Even in Poland, we can’t live without cucumbers. The village of Kruszewo in the Podlaskie region has been celebrating National Cucumber Day in September every year since 2000. Crowds from all over Poland come to celebrate the cultivation of cucumbers, learn secret recipes and taste other regional products.
It’s a fun event and you can taste different cucumber recipes including this tasty chlodnik ogorkowy.
How To Make Polish Chlodnik Ogorkowy
It’s really easy to make this Polish cold cucumber soup in just 10 minutes. Simply dice the cucumber into cubes, and chop the dill and chives. Mix everything with the buttermilk and dill pickle water, season with salt and pepper and it’s ready. Cool for a bit in the refrigerator and serve!
Tips For Preparing The Best Chlodnik Ogorkowy – Polish Cold Cucumber Soup
- Cut half a cucumber into slices and leave aside. You can add this to the top of the soup with chopped coriander as a topping.
- Add some grated radish or finely chopped onion to the soup to make it tangy!
- This recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free!
- You can replace the buttermilk with kefir.
- If you don’t have dill pickle cucumber water, you can make the soup sour by adding lemon juice or vinegar to plain water or maslanka.
- You can add a teaspoon of honey to the soup.
- Allow the soup to cool for 1 to 2 hours in the fridge before serving!
- For a bit of crunch, roast some almonds, chop them finely, and add to the soup before serving!
- Top with chopped parsley and olive oil before serving!
- Want a similar recipe that’s a bit richer? Try this creamy cucumber soup recipe.
FAQs For Polish Cold Cucumber Soup – Chlodnik Ogorkowy
How Do You Pronounce Chlodnik Ogorkowy?
Chłodnik Ogórkowy is pronounced hoowoah-dnik ogoor-kovee.
What To Serve Chlodnik Ogorkowy With?
Serve chlodnik ogorkowy with any of the following:
- smoked salmon bites
- hard-boiled eggs or poached eggs
- smoked bacon
- salted cheese
- boiled potatoes
- toasted bread
What Other Polish Cold Soups Can I Make?
You can try any of these Polish cold soups:
- Creamy Cucumber Soup
- Polish Chlodnik Cold Beet Soup
- Chlodnik Pomidorowy – Polish Cold Tomato Soup
- Polish Milk Soup
- Polish Fruit Soup
What If I Do Not Have Time To Chill The Cold Cucumber Soup Before Serving?
If you don’t have time to chill this Polish cucumber soup before serving, replace 1 cup of dill pickle water with 1 cup of ice cubes. Mix everything together and serve.
What’s The Difference Between Chlodnik Ogorkowy And The Turkish Cacik?
The Turkish version of this soup called cacik is quite similar to chlodnik ogorkowy. The difference is that cacik uses garlic instead of horseradish. You’ll also find some versions that include mint or sumac, and it’s often topped with linseed oil and chopped walnuts.
How Long Will Chlodnik Ogorkowy Last?
Chlodnik Ogorkowy Polish Cold Cucumber Soup Recipe
- 1 lb / 0,5kg of cucumbers
- 2 cups of buttermilk (maslanka)
- 2 cups of dill pickle water
- a bunch of chives
- a bunch of dill
- Peel and dice the cucumbers.
- Wash the dill and chives, and chop them fine.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve cold.
You may replace buttermilk with kefir.
If you don't have the dill cucumber water, you can make the soup sour by adding lemon juice or vinegar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 575mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 18gProtein: 8g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this chlodnik ogorkowy Polish cold cucumber soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!