The Polish cream of mushroom soup or zupa pieczarkowa is a rich, creamy and warming soup made with store-bought pieczarki mushrooms! Serve with toasted bread or pasta for a filling meal!
What Is Zupa Pieczarkowa?
Zupa pieczarkowa is a traditional Polish soup made with store-bought mushrooms which are called pieczarki.
In Polish, we have 2 words for mushrooms. Wild mushrooms (the ones that are collected from the forest) are called grzyby while the mushrooms that are available in the stores are called pieczarki.
If you wish to prepare a mushroom soup with wild mushrooms, here is my zupa grzybowa recipe. This version of mushroom soup is often prepared for Christmas Eve dinner (zupa grzybowa wigilijna).
Who Invented Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
Mushroom soup is one of those dishes that have been around for far too long to credit any one particular culture with its origin.
The Italians and the French have been making roux-based soups for centuries. So have other cultures.
In the US, it’s the Campbell Soup Company that started selling the Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup in 1934 that got everyone hooked. From there, there was no turning back. Everyone must have mushroom soup at least once!
How To Make Mushroom Soup With Pieczarki
To make Polish cream of mushroom soup, you can use either ready-to-use stock or chicken rosól.
Slice the pieczarki mushrooms and dice the onions. Fry the onions with mushrooms and butter. Put them in the pot with the stock and allow it to cook.
After a few minutes, turn off the heat. Slowly add the sour cream while stirring continuously.
Season with salt and pepper and serve!
What To Serve With Zupa Pieczarkowa?
Zupa pieczarkowa can be served with any of the following:
- Fried kielbasa sausages
- Roasted veggies
- Fried potatoes
Tips For Making The Best Zupa Pieczarkowa
- You can add noodles or potatoes to the soup or serve them separately.
- If using wild mushrooms, use this recipe.
- If you want it richer, add more sour cream or some heavy cream.
- You can cream the entire soup with a blender or leave it coarse. It’s up to you!
- You can add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice if you want the soup tangier.
- Top with chopped parsley or bacon bits before serving.
FAQs About The Polish Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Which Mushrooms Should I Use To Make This Soup?
This soup can be made with any mushrooms of your choice – portobello, porcini, morels, shitake,
Can I Use Frozen Mushrooms?
Yes, you can use frozen mushrooms. Defrost before using.
Can I Add Vegetables To The Mushroom Soup?
Yes, you can add potatoes, peas, carrots, celeriac, onions, or other veggies of your choice to the soup.
Can You Make The Mushroom Soup Vegan?
Yes, to make the mushroom soup vegan, replace the butter with vegan butter, the sour cream with vegan cream, and replace the broth with veg broth.
How Long Can The Polish Cream Of Mushroom Soup be Stored?
Store the cream of mushroom soup in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Reheat before serving. It’s best not to freeze it as the soup will change texture once thawed.
Polish Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe [Zupa Pieczarkowa]
Polish Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
The Polish cream of mushroom soup or zupa piecarkowa is a rich, creamy, and warming soup made with store-bought pieczarki mushrooms! Serve with boiled potatoes, toasted bread, or pasta for a filling meal!
- 2.2 lbs (1kg) of white mushrooms (button mushrooms, portobello, champignons, etc.)
- 1 onion
- 12 cups of stock/broth
- 1 cup of sour cream
- salt, pepper
- boiled potatoes/pasta/croutons to serve
- Use ready-to-use stock or cook rosól using this recipe.
- Wash or peel the mushrooms, then slice them.
- Peel and dice an onion.
- Fry onion with mushrooms in butter.
- Add them to the stock and cook for a while.
- Turn off the heat, wait for 3-5 minutes and pour the sour cream very slowly, stirring all the time.
- Serve the soup like that or blend it.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a side dish of your choice (boiled potatoes, croutons, or pasta).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this zupa pieczarkowa Polish cream of mushroom soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!