The pyzy z miesem are traditional potato dumplings filled with stuffed meat and fried onions. Perfect as a side dish or main meal, the entire family will love them!
What Are Pyzy Z Miesem?
Pronounced ‘pih-zee’, the pyzy are a type of Polish potato dumplings popular in the Podlasie region. They are filled with cooked a mixture of minced meat and onions. Although they’re often confused with the zeppelin-shaped kartacze dumplings they can easily be distinguished by their shape and ingredients.
Another similar dish called pyzy borowiackie is made with a cottage cheese filling. This dish from the Pomeranian voivodeship has been on the Polish list of traditional products since Feb 2008.
If you make potato dumplings with fruit inside, they’re called knedle. And if your potato dumplings is made without filling, it’s simply called pyzy!
What Is The Difference Between Pyzy Z Miesem And Kartacze?
Pyzy z mięsem are quite similar to kartacze, but there are 3 main differences between them:
- the shape (kartacze have a football shape, while pyzy z mięsem are round)
- the filling (kartacze are made of raw meat, while pyzy z mięsem are made of cooked meat)
- the dough (the majority of dough for kartacze consists of raw potatoes, while the dough for pyzy z mięsem are made of equal amount of cooked and raw potatoes)
How To Cook Pyzy Z Miesem Perfectly
Step I – Form the Dough
Cook and mash half the potatoes. Keep the other half raw, finely grate them and squeeze dry. Mix both the raw and boiled potatoes with potato starch and keep ready.
Step II – Prepare The Filling
Fry the meat before grinding it. Then mix it with fried onion, salt, marjoram, and pepper. Form into balls and keep ready.
Step III – Form The Pyzy Z Miesem And Cook It
Watch the video to see how to form the balls and then coat them with potato starch.Prepare a boiling pot of water with potato starch and salt. Put the pyzy z miesem into it slowly and allow it to cook. Shake the pot gently to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom while cooking.
When the pyzy are cooked, top them with fried bacon and onions and serve!
Tips for Cooking Pyzy Z Miesem
- Some people add yeast to the potato dumplings, but it’s not necessary.
- If the potato dough is still wet, add potato starch to thicken it.
- You can also add finely chopped mushrooms to the onions and minced meat mixture while cooking.
- To make it more traditional, replace the butter with pork lard while frying.
- You can use a mixture of different meats for the filling.
- If you want more meat in the dumplings, try the kartacze recipe.
- Be gentle while shaking the pot, so that the pyzy do not break.
- Top with melted butter, chopped chives, and fried bacon to serve!
- For something different, these pyzy z miesem also go really well with a sweet BBQ sauce!
FAQs About Making Polish Pyzy Z Miesem
Can I Use Any Potatoes To Make Pyzy Z Miesem?
Yes, you can use any potatoes to make these Polish mince and potato dumplings. But if you can get starchy potatoes such as Yukon Gold, Russet or Idaho the dumplings will hold better.
Which Minced Meat Should I Use To Make The Filling For Pyzy Z Miesem?
You can use any meat to make the filling these pyzy. Pork, beef, veal, lamb, mutton, chicken, turkey, all will work. Choose meat that your family will like!
Also, if you have leftover meat from making any broth, that will be perfect for use in the dumplings. You simply have to grind it and add it to the fried onion mixture.
What To Serve With Pyzy Z Miesem?
You can top the pyzy z miesem with the following:
- Diced fried bacon
- Fried pork rind or crackling
- Fried chopped ham
- Diced fried onions
- Melted Butter
- Chopped parsley or chives
Is It Possible To Make This Dish Vegetarian?
Yes, you can make the pyzy z miesem vegetarian by replacing the minced meat with any of these:
- Farmer’s cheese
- Cooked Mushrooms
- Fried Onions with any vegetable of your choice
- Cooked lentils
How To Store Pyzy Z Miesem?
Store the pyzy z miesem in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
Pyzy Z Miesem Recipe
- 3 ½ lbs (1,5kg) of potatoes
- 12oz (340g) of any kind of minced meat
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsps of salt
- ¼ of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of dried marjoram (or any other herb)
- 5 tbsps of potato starch
How To Make The Dough For Pyzy Z Mięsem?
- Peel all the potatoes.
- Cook half of the potatoes until soft, then finely mash them until completely smooth. Allow to cool.
- Finely grate the raw potatoes, then squeeze the juice out of them. Make sure they are completely dry.
- Mix raw and boiled potatoes with 3 tbsps of potato starch. Don't do it for too long otherwise, the dough will become too wet.
How To Make The Filling For Pyzy Z Mięsem?
- Cook or fry the meat, then grind it until you get a smooth consistency.
- Peel and finely dice an onion, then fry it in oil.
- Mix meat with fried onion, ½ of salt, ¼ of black pepper, and 1 tbsp of dried marjoram.
How To Form Pyzy Z Mięsem?
- Divide the dough and the meat filling into 12 equal pieces.
- Form each piece of the dough and meat filling into a ball.
- Take one dough ball and pat it flat in the palm of the hand.
- Place one meat ball in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough around the meat, making sure the seal is continuous and intact.
- Coat each pyzy z mięsem with potato starch.
How To Cook Pyzy Z Mięsem?
- Mix 2 tbsps of potato starch with 1 cup of cold water.
- Pour 1 gallon of cold water into a big pot. Add 1 ½ tbsp of salt and bring to boil.
- When the water is boiling, pour the potato starch mixture into it, stirring all the time.
- Using a slotted spoon, put pyzy z mięsem into the boiling water, one by one. Do it carefully.
- When all pyzy z mięsem are in the water, lift up the pot and move it right to left and back. That way you will make sure pyzy z mięsem won't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook slowly for about 5 minutes.
- Take out pyzy z mięsem using a slotted spoon. Serve with fried onion or bacon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 1180mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this pyzy z mięsem recipe? Let us know in the comments below!