The tasty Polish carrot salad recipe called Surówka Z Marchewki Z Chrzanem has a distinctive taste that goes well with meaty dishes. Also popular for Easter, it’s quite easy to make at home!
Featuring carrots, horseradish, and mayo, Surówka Z Marchewki Z Chrzanem, is among the many popular Polish side dishes. Pungent and spicy, this salad is the perfect accompaniment to seafood or meat dishes.
Some people add apples to this carrot salad as well. However, carrot+horseradish is one type of salad, while apple+carrot (Surówka z Marchewki) is a different type of salad. Here’s my apple and carrot salad recipe.
What Is Chrzan And What Are Its Health Benefits?
Horseradish or chrzan is a root vegetable that belongs to the same family as mustard, wasabi, and radish. Because of its pungent nature, it’s often added to dishes as a condiment or spice.
The white horseradish root is known to have a number of health benefits. They contain antioxidants that prevent cell damage and also secrete an oil called allyl isothiocyanate that has anti-bacterial properties.
Some studies also show that horseradish helps in relieving colds, improving breathing, and inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
It’s good to check with your nutritionist or doctor about the benefits, but the main reason we add horseradish to dishes is because of its zinginess and pungency.
What Dishes Are Made With Horseradish or Chrzan?
An important ingredient in the Polish diet, you’ll find horseradish added to many dishes that are typically served during Easter time. Some of them include:
- Polish Horseradish Soup
- Chrzan Polish Horseradish Recipe
- Polish Horseradish Sauce
- Buraczki Beetroot Salad Recipe
You will often also find some horseradish grated and added to these dishes:
- Ozory W Galarecie
- Roladki Wieprzowe
- Barszcz Biały Na Zakwasie Polish Easter White Borscht Recipe
- Polish cold cucumber soup
What To Serve With Polish Carrot And Horseradish Salad?
Here are some meaty dishes to serve the Surówka Z Marchewki Z Chrzanem.
- Kotlet Schabowy (pork cutlets)
- Polish Goulash
- Polish jellied tongue
- Kotlety Mielone
- Golonka W Piwie or Golonka po poznańsku
- Polish Ryba Po Grecku Fish
Tips For Making The Best Polish Carrot Salad
- You can mix a tablespoon of lemon juice in the mayonnaise.
- You can use storebought horseradish instead of the fresh version.
- Want it spicier? Add more horseradish!
- Add a teaspoon of sugar if you want it sweeter.
- You can make a sweeter salad with carrots and apples if you wish.
- Want to do something really different? Dice a few pieces of canned pineapple into small cubes and add to the salad.
- Store in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving. It tastes better cold!
- Top with chopped parsley or drizzle with olive oil before serving!
FAQs About This Best Polish Carrot Salad Recipe
What Does Surowka Mean?
Surowka means raw. It is derived from the word surowy. It is pronounced shu-roh-wie.
What Does Chrzanem Mean?
Chrzanem means horseradish. It is pronounced sher-zan-em.
Is It Possible To Make This Salad Vegan?
Yes, you can make this salad vegan by replacing the mayo with vegan mayonnaise.
Can I Make The Salad Fat Free By Using Yogurt Instead Of Mayo?
You could do that, but I don’t recommend it. The taste of the salad with yogurt is not as good. Plus, we are using very little mayo, so it’s not too much for you.
How Long Can I Store The Polish Carrot Salad?
The Polish carrot salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Transfer to an airtight container before serving.
Polish Carrot Salad Recipe
Polish Carrot Salad Recipe
The tasty Polish carrot salad recipe called Surówka Z Marchewki Z Chrzanem has a distinctive taste that complements meat and fish dishes. Make it in just 5 minutes!
- 2 big carrots
- 1-2 tbsps of grated horseradish
- 1 tbsp of mayonnaise
- salt, pepper
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Add horseradish and mayo.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish carrot salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!