Even thoughstreet food is not very popular in Poland, there are some Polish dishes that are considered as fast food. Among the most famous is maczanka po krakowsku and zapiekanka – Polish open-faced sandwich. The most popular version comes with cheese, mushroom, and ham, however vegetarian zapikanka is also very popular.
Basic Facts About Polish Sandwich – Zapiekanka
See also my Polish breakfast sandwich recipe.
1. It’s crispy.
That’s why it’s best to eat it outdoor or have a plate under your mouth. Otherwise, you may have a house full of crumbs.
2. The most famous “zapikanka” can be bought in Krakow.
Located in the center of Krakow’s Jewish district, Kazimierz, “u Endziora” serves zapiekanka from the morning till 2 AM. It makes Polish open-faced sandwiches the best drunk food to have in Krakow.
3. It’s cheap.
Zapiekanka is probably the cheapest and easiest Polish food you can make at home.
Zapiekanka Polish Sandwich Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
1. Set the oven to 380ºF.
1. Peel the onion and chop it finely.
2. Sweat the onion with butter (for about 5 minutes).
3. Wash the mushrooms and cut them into slices
4. Add mushrooms to the onion and fry for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper.
6. Cut the baguette into 3 pieces then halve each horizontally.
7. Put mushrooms and onion on each piece of baguette. Add ham (optional).
8. Spread the shredded cheese on the sandwiches.
9. Put zapiekankas in the stove and bake until the cheese is melted (about 10 minutes).
10. Add sweet veggies, sweet corn, chopped chives, and ketchup.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 693Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1246mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 36g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix