Drożdżówka z serem is probably the most famous Polish snack to have on the go. You can buy it in every bakery for about 50 cents. It’s yummy and filling. Of course, you can make it at home as well! In this post, I am sharing with you a traditional Polish sweet cheese buns recipe.
It’s really simple to make and doesn’t require any cooking skills. However, the yeast dough takes some time to grow, so it’s not a pastry you can bake fast. Even though you won’t have to do anything, just wait, it takes some time to have your Polish sweet cheese buns ready.
Traditionally, drożdżówka z serem is round, open-face, and has sweet cheese filling inside. You can make it in the other shape though, for example, put the sweet cheese inside and wrap the dough around it.
Tips For Making Polish Sweet Cheese Buns
Place The Dough In The Warm Place.
It’s really important! Yeast dough will only grow when it’s warm enough. Make sure that your windows are closed.
Serve Them With Raisins If You Want.
Polish sweet cheese buns taste really good with raisins. Remember to reduce the volume of sugar added if you decide to add many raisins (otherwise your drożdżówki z serem may be too sweet).
Use Wholegrain Flour If You Want To Make The Buns Healthier.
I actually mixed all-purpose flour with the wholegrain flour.
Polish Sweet Cheese Buns Recipe
Dough for Polish Sweet Cheese Buns
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 packets of instant dry yeast (5 teaspoons)/ or 9-10 teaspoons of fresh yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Filling for Polish Sweet Cheese Buns
- 2 cups of cottage/farmer cheese
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whipped egg to spread on the buns (they will be more shiny)
How To Make Dough For Polish Sweet Cheese Buns?
- Mix flour with instant dry yeast, sugar, and salt. Add melted butter and eggs.
If you are using fresh yeast, mix them first with sugar and a bit of fresh milk. Then add all the other ingredients.
- Form the dough. Take a big bowl and sprinkle it with flour. Place the dough inside the bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel/cloth, and put it in a warm place.
- Wait for about 1-1,5h until the dough will double its size.
How To Make Filling For Polish Sweet Cheese Buns?
- If your cottage cheese is not creamy, grind it first.
- Mix the butter with the powdered sugar until you will get a white, creamy consistency.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
How To Form Polish Sweet Cheese Buns?
- Place the baking paper on the 2 pans.
- When the dough is ready, divide it to 10-12 pieces.
- Form the round buns and place them on the pans (leaving large spaces between them because the dough will grow).
- Cover the pans with kitchen towel/clothes, place them in the warm place and wait for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- After 40 minutes, take a small glass to form dimples in the buns. .
- Place the custard inside the dimples.
- If you are using the raisins, sprinkle them on top of each bun.
- Smear the whipped egg on the buns to make them shinier.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish sweet cheese buns recipe? Let us know in the comments below!