Easy to guess from its name, barszcz ukraiński recipe has been borrowed by Poles from the Ukrainians.
Ukrainian-style Polish beet soup is hearty and delicious. It’s pretty similar to Polish red borscht or young beet soup. The main difference is that you have beans inside barszcz ukraiński, while the two others are served with boiled potatoes and eggs only.
Tips For Making Barszcz Ukrainski Ukrainian Style Polish Beet Soup
See also my Polish beet kvass recipe.
Adding Cabbage Is Not Necessary.
Some Polish housewives don’t add the cabbage to barszcz ukraiński. You can either skip it or add green cabbage or savoy cabbage.
Let It Rest Overnight.
Ukrainian-style Polish beet soup tastes best the next day when all the flavors combine.
Serve It Solo Or With Sour Cream.
It’s up to you whether you add sour cream or not!
Sprinkle The Soup With Chopped Dill.
Barszcz ukrainski is often served with fresh chopped dill on top.
Ukrainian Style Polish Beet Soup Barszcz Ukrainski Recipe
- 12 cups of broth or water
- 5 medium / large beets
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small parsley root
- ¼ of savoy cabbage
- 2 cups of beans / 2 cans of canned beans
- 4-5 tbsps of white vinegar
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 bay leaves
- salt, pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- If you are using dry beans, soak them overnight. If you are using canned beans, skip to the step 2.
- Peel and dice the vegetables.
- Boil vegetables and beans with allspice berries and bay leaves in broth/water until soft. If you are using canned beans, add them at the end when the rest of the vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt, pepper, vinegar and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve solo or with sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 954mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 7gSugar: 18gProtein: 16g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this barszcz ukrainski recipe? Let us know in the comments below!