This beautiful orange-colored pumpkin soup resembles the color of autumn leaves. Nutty and flavorful, it provides the perfect warmth for the cool winter weather.
What Is Zupa Dyniowa?
Zupa dyniowa or zupa z dyni is a Polish pumpkin soup made with pumpkins and potatoes. Warm and tasty, it’s perfect for autumn or winter weather.
It’s not originally Polish though. The pumpkin soup was created in France. By the end of the 18th century, it had become a common meal served in French hospitals, schools, and orders.
The 1812 British cookbook, ‘The Professed Cook’ has a recipe for a pumpkin soup translated from French. The ‘French Domestic’ cookbook which was translated to English in 1846 has three different recipes for pumpkin soups, one with broth, one with milk, and one with bread.
Soon the pumpkin soup traveled the globe and every culture created its own version of it.
How To Make Polish Pumpkin Soup Recipe [Zupa Dyniowa]
Dice the pumpkin, potatoes, and carrot. Add them to a pot with the rosol stock and cook till soft.
Once cooked, blend the soup with spices. Add more stock if you want it less thick. Serve hot with toppings of your choice!
What To Serve With Zupa Dyniowa?
You can serve the zupa dyniowa with:
- Serve with crunchy toasted bread or croutons!
- Or serve with rye bread slathered with butter or cream
- Bread sticks!
- Sauteed veggies
- Fried kielbasa sausages
Tips For Making Polish Zupa Dyniowa
- You can add cream to the soup if you want it richer!
- Add an onion to the soup with the other veggies if you want it sweeter.
- To create an elaborate-looking dish, carve out the pumpkin and use the shell to serve the soup.
- Alternatively served in hollowed-out sourdough bread bowls.
- Top with roasted pumpkin seeds or chopped parsley.
- If you can’t find pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top, add toasted sunflower seeds or almond flakes.
- Top with crumbled farmer’s cheese or sour cream before serving!
FAQs About Polish Pumpkin Soup [Zupa Dyniowa]
Which Pumpkin Should I Use?
We prefer to use Japanese squash, but you can use any other variety such as butternut squash or hoikkado too.
I Find Fresh Ginger Too Intense. Do I Have To Use It?
If you find fresh ginger too strong, you can reduce the quantity or substitute it with ginger powder.
Is It Possible To Make The Soup Tangy?
Yes, if you want to make the soup tangier, add a tablespoon of vinegar or tomato paste to the soup.
Can This Soup Be Made Vegetarian?
Yes, to make the pumpkin soup vegetarian, replace the rosol broth with a vegetable broth.
Can This Soup Be Made Vegan?
Yes, to make the pumpkin soup vegetarian, make the following replacements:
- Replace rosol broth with a vegetable broth
- Replace the sour cream with vegan cream or coconut milk
How Long Can The Pumpkin Soup Be Stored?
Pumpkin soup can be refrigerated for 4 to 5 days, or frozen for 3 months. Reheat before serving.
Polish Pumpkin Soup Recipe [Zupa Dyniowa]
- 1 pumpkin (preferably Japanese squash)
- 5-7 pints (2-3 litres) of broth/stock
- 4 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- ¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp of minced ginger
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- salt, pepper
- sour cream/ chives/ pumpkin seeds to serve
- Use ready-to-use stock or cook rosól using this recipe.
- Peel and dice the pumpkin. Watch this video to learn how to do it right.
- Peel and dice potatoes and a carrot.
- Cover the veggies with water and cook until soft (for about 15-20 minutes).
- Add spices and blend the soup. If it's too thick, add more stock.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of sour cream, chives, or pumpkin seeds.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1869mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 34g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish pumpkin soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!