Sponge cake is famous all over the world. This fluffy and soft cake is perfect when served with fruits, whipped cream, or any other kind of custard. Biszkopt recipe is something every housewife should know!
Biszkopt is very easy to make if you follow the recipe, step by step. The basic one has a yellowish color. When you add cocoa, you will get a chocolate sponge cake.
You can also add any food coloring to get the desired color of your sponge cake (blue, red, pink, orange, etc.).
Check out my sponge cake with strawberries recipe to see how you can use this biszkopt recipe.
What Can Go Wrong When Making Sponge Cake?
See also my fluffy sponge cake with apples recipe.
Whipping egg whites for too long (or too short).
In order to get the perfect sponge cake, you need to whip the egg whites until get the consistency of the whipped cream. If
If you whisk for too long, they will become watery and you will probably get the sad layer.
It’s important to remember that the egg whites should be whisked first with a pinch of salt, and then with the sugar until the entire sugar is dissolved.
Using cold eggs.
Be sure to take the eggs out from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. If you forgot to do so, warm the eggs up in the bowl with warm water.
Why you should be using warm eggs? They are easier to whisk, they stay stiff longer after whisking, thus you can be sure your sponge cake will be fluffy after baking.
Putting the sponge cake into too hot/ too cold oven.
In order to get the fluffy cake, you need to put it in the oven right after whisking.
The temperature of the oven should be 320˚F – 340˚F, otherwise, you will probably end up with the sad layer.
Cutting the sponge cake into layers too quickly.
The sponge cake needs to be completely cold in order to cut it into layers. It’s best to cut the next day.
Tips For Storing The Sponge Cake
Keep the sponge cake in the fridge for up to a week.
You can freeze the sponge cake and keep it in the freezer for up to 4 months. Defrost it slowly in the fridge.
Polish Sponge Cake Biszkopt Recipe
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of potato starch
- Preheat Oven to 340˚F. Line the cake pan with parchment paper.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Mix and sift the flour and the potato starch.
- Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk until you will get the consistency of the whipped cream. Start with the low speed, then slowly increase it.
- Slowly start adding the sugar, whisking all the time. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the speed and slowly start adding the egg yolks.
- Next, slowly add the flour.
- Bake immediately for about 35 minutes. Don't open up the oven for the first 20 minutes!
- Use warm eggs, they should be at room temperature! If you didn't take it out from the fridge, you can quickly heat them up in the bowl with warm water.
- The salt will help to whisk the egg whites.
- It's recommended to "throw" the cake from the pan right after baking and wait until it cools off.
- You can start with baking in 320˚F for the first 15 minutes, then increase the heat to 356˚F and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
Pin For Later:
Did you like this sponge cake biszkopt recipe? Let us know in the comments below!