Wuzetka is one of the classic Polish cakes. It’s not only delicious but also easy to make. What’s more this black and white chocolate cake looks really great, so you can be sure you impress your guest when you serve it at your party.
See also my murzynek- Polish chocolate cake recipe.
The Story Behind Polish Black And White Chocolate Cake
The name wuzetka/ W-Z (wooh-set-kah) comes from the road that was built in Warsaw right after World War II.
W stands for wschód- East.
Z stands for zachód- West.
Easy to guess the road connected the Western and Easter part of the city.
When you look closely, you will see that the Wuzetka cake looks like the road itself! The black road (sponge cake) is divided by the white line (custard).
Some Polish housewives are also decorating the top of the cake with the white line in the middle (see the photo below).
Doesn’t it look like the road?
Others say that the name Wuzetka comes from the acronym ‘WZC’, which stood for the Warszawskie Zakłady Cukiernicze (Warsaw Confectionery Plants) or for the wypiek z czekoladą (pastry with chocolate).
Tips For Making W-Z Chocolate Cake
Any Kind Of White Custard Would Work For This Cake.
In this Polish black and white chocolate cake recipe, I am giving you the recipe for the custard made of heavy cream and cream cheese. However, you can use any other white custards including whipped cream or pudding custard.
Traditionally, Polish housewives used the curdle from curdled milk instead of cream cheese. If you have a Polish shop around, where you can buy crudled milk (zsiadłe mleko), you can do it too!
Soak The Cake With Punch If You Want.
If you want to make your wuzetka more sophisticated, you can soak each part of the cake with a punch/ cherry vodka before spreading the custard.
Add Additional Layer Or Marmalade/ Jam.
Some wuzetka recipes suggest spreading the cake with the additional layer of marmalade/ jam (f.e. blackcurrant jam). You can put it on top of the cake, before pouring the chocolate frosting or under the custard layer.
Wuzetka Delicious Black And White Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup / 250g of margarine
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsps of marmalade/ thick jam
- 4 tbsps of cocoa
- 2 cups of milk (or Greek yoghurt/kefir)
- 2 tbsps of baking soda
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 cups / 250g of cream cheese (f.e.mascarpone)
- 3 tbsps of cocoa
- ½ cup / 100g of butter
- 1 tbsp of pork lard
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsps of sugar
- 1 egg
- Whipped cream for serving
How To Make Wuzetka Dough?
- Preheat the oven to 392°F / 200°C.
- Oil the 9x13" cake pan or put the parchment paper inside.
- Mix together the eggs, margarine, and sugar until you will get the fluffy whitish custard.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Pour the dough onto the cake pan and bake for 35 minutes.
How To Make Wuzetka Custard?
- Beat the cold heavy cream, then start gradually adding the sugar (1 tablespoon each time).
- Add the cream cheese and mix until you'll get the smooth custard.
How To Make Chocolate Frosting?
- Boil or the ingredients for the frosting, except for the egg.
- In the separate bowl, beat the egg using a fork.
- When all the ingredients for the frosting melted down, turn off the heat, and add a beaten egg, stirring all the time.
How To Build The Wuzetka Cake?
- When the cake is cold, cut it in half.
- Spread the custard evenly on the first cake layer.
- Cover it with the second layer of cake.
- Place the chocolate frosting on top of your wuzetka cake, smoothing it out using a spoon.
- Serve the cake cold with the whipped cream on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Whipped Cream - Bita śmietana
- Smalec - Pork Lard
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Heavy Cream - Śmietana kremówka
- Baking Soda - Soda oczyszczona
- Milk - Mleko
- Cacao Powder - Kakao
- Powidło- Plum Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Sugar - Cukier
- Margarine - Margaryna
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
- Rectangle Baking Pan - Blacha prostokątna na ciasto
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Wuzetka black and white chocolate cake recipe? Let us know in the comments below!