The strawberry season in Poland has officially started! It can only mean one thing- I needed to use my favorite sponge cake with custard and strawberries recipe.
Believe it or not, tort truskawkowy is what you can try in every Polish home in May or June. Every single housewife I know bakes this mouthwatering cake at least once during the strawberry season.
Tips For Baking Strawberry Custard Sponge Cake
Read my sponge cake recipe.
It needs to be kept in the fridge.
Strawberry custard sponge cake is temperature-sensitive, so make sure you are keeping it in the fridge all the time.
You can use ready sponge cake if you don’t want to bake one.
In fact, you can use biscuits or any other cake to serve with the custard and strawberries.
Choose fresh strawberries.
The secret of strawberry custard sponge cake is using fresh, hard strawberries. You can buy them one day before but don’t keep them in a fridge for too long, otherwise, they will rot.
You can use berries instead of strawberries.
Either one will taste great!
Some Polish housewives mix strawberries and berries in this cake to get an even better taste.
Use any pan shape you want.
Square, rectangular, or round will work just fine. I used the rectangular pan.
Strawberry Custard Sponge Cake Recipe
See also my fluffy sponge cake with apples recipe.
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of potato starch
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (optional)
- 1 carton/ bottle of milk (32 fl oz)
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 3 tbsp of potato starch
- 10 tbsp of sugar
- 8 oz of butter
- 3 pounds of fresh strawberries
- 2 packages of strawberry gelatin (6 oz) that you will mix with 3 cups of water
- Start with baking the sponge cake. Preheat the oven to 356°F.
- Bring the eggs to the room temperature by putting them inside the bowl with warm water. Keep them there for 5 minutes. If the eggs are already warm, go to the next step.
- Mix the flour, potato starch, and baking powder in the bowl. Sift the mixture to make sure there are no lumps.
- Separate whites from egg yolks.
- Whip egg whites until they make a solid foam.
- Start adding sugar slowly, mixing all the time.
- Add egg yolks, one by one, mixing all the time.
- Using the slowest speed of mixer or a spoon, start adding the flour mixture. Make sure you do it slowly and gently.
- Place the dough in the 9x13" pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Mix the strawberry gelatin with 3 cups of boiling water and wait until it cools off.
- Now it's time to make the custard. If you want to see step-by-step photos of how to make it, follow this link.
- Pour about half a cup of milk to the small bowl and the rest to the pot.
- Add egg yolks and sugar to the pot., Whip it together until you get a smooth, yellow color. Start cooking slowly, stirring as often as possible.
- Add flour and potato starch to the milk in the bowl. Mix until dissolved.
- When the mixture in the pot nearly boils, add the milk with the flour from the bowl.
- Stir until you will get the consistency of the pudding. Cool off.
- When the pudding is cold, mix it with butter to get a smooth custard.
- Cut the cold sponge cake in half (horizontally).
- Spread the custard (about 2/3 of the entire portion) on the first half. Add cut in half strawberries.
- Cover it with the second half of the sponge cake.
- Spread with the remaining custard. Add cut in half strawberries.
- Pour the solidifying jelly on the cake and place it in the fridge. Wait for 2-3 hours until it's cold and ready to eat.
- Keep the cake in the fridge.
- You can make homemade jelly if you don't want to use instant strawberry gelatin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Strawberries Organic - Truskawki
- Strawberry jelly mix - Galaretka truskawkowa
- Butter Unsalted - Masło
- Milk - Mleko
- Baking Powder - Proszek do pieczenia
- Potato Starch (Flour) - Mąka (skrobia) ziemniaczana
- Rectangle Baking Pan - Blacha prostokątna na ciasto
- All Purpose Flour
- Sugar - Cukier
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you enjoy this Strawberry Custard Sponge Cake recipe? Let us know in the comments below!