Moss cake (leśny mech) has become quite popular a few years ago in Poland. I’ve tried it once or twice in the restaurant but didn’t really like it- it was too mawkish for me. Then, I started to read about this cake, browse through the recipes, and came up with my own Polish spinach cake with mascarpone recipe.
It’s absolutely delicious (at least that’s what my family says!). The addition of fresh fruits and blackcurrant jam breaks the mawkish taste of spinach. All the ingredients put together taste really good. Keep on reading to get my moss cake recipe.
About Polish Spinach Cake With Mascarpone
The name “moss cake” tells it all. The cake is to supposed to imitate the moss and the fruits on top of it- the forest.
All the contrasting colors make the cake looks pretty impressive!
Tips For Making The Moss Cake
Use Fresh Or Frozen Spinach.
It doesn’t matter whether you use fresh or frozen spinach. All you need to do is to cook it for a while, then blend it on the smooth mousse.
Any Dark Jam Would Work For The Moss Cake.
I like the blackcurrant jam, as it’s sour.
Keep The Cake In The Fridge.
The mascarpone cream needs to be chill all the time, that’s why the moss cake has to be kept in the fridge.
Polish Spinach Cake With Mascarpone Moss Cake Recipe
- 16 oz (450g) of fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 cup of sugar/ xylitol
- ⅔ cup of oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsps of baking powder
- 9 oz (250g) of mascarpone cheese
- 7 oz (200ml) of heavy cream
- 4 tbsps of powdered sugar (or powdered xylitol)
- 5 oz (150g) of blackcurrant jam
- raspberries, pomegranate, blueberries to decorate
How To Make Spinach Dough?
- Heat the spinach on the pan until it's dry, then blend it on the smooth mousse.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Grease the 8'' round cake pan with oil or butter.
- Bring the eggs to room temperature (by heating them up in warm water).
- Beat the eggs with sugar until you will get the fluffy consistency.
- Add spinach mousse and mix again.
- Sift the flour and baking powder, then slowly add it to the spinach pulp.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
How To Make The Mascarpone Cream?
- Beat the chilled heavy cream until it's stiff.
- Add mascarpone, powdered sugar, and mix.
How To Assemble The Moss Cake?
- Cut the cake in half.
- Spread the bottom of the cake with jam.
- Spread the mascarpone cream onto the jam.
- Hollow out the upper layer of the cake. The very top of the cake will be left, you won't need it. You can either eat it up or throw it away.
- Sprinkle the cream with little chunks of the cake that yoy hollowed out.
- Decorate the top of the spinach cake with pomegranate, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Keep the moss cake in the fridge!
Blackcurrant jam may be replaced with any other dark jam made of sour fruits, such as redcurrants.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 7g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this moss cake recipe? Let us know in the comments below!