Zupa Cebulowa is the Polish version of the French Onion Soup. Made with caramelized onions, the soup topped with cheese and served with croutons is simply delicious!
What Is Zupa Cebulowa?
Zupa Cebulowa literally means Onion Soup. It is different than the most popular one – a traditional French onion soup.
The French version has been around since ancient times. In France, it was made using meat stock that was cooked with onions, topped with cheese, and served with croutons. Before that, it was eaten as far back as Roman times when it was considered food for the poor.
You’ll find the Polish Zupa Cebulowa on page 202 of the Polish Heritage Cookery book written by Robert & Maria Strybel in 1993. Called zupa cebulowa po polsku or Onion Soup Polish Style, it’s made by caramelizing the onions and then cooking them with diced veggies.
It’s then blended with sour cream and flour to thicken it and served with croutons and chopped parsley. Of course, we prefer to serve it with croutons and cheese instead!
They say onion soup is a great hangover remedy. So keep some in stock if you’re going to a party with heavy drinking. It works as well as a kielbasa breakfast!
How To Make Polish Onion Soup
Cut peeled onions into half-moons and saute with butter. Next, add the spices and water and slow cook for 30 minutes till the onions are soft.
Remove the whole spices such as bay leaves and allspice berries from the soup and blend it with a hand blender. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can do it in a mixer.
Add lemon juice or wine and cook for another five minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with croutons.
Tips For Making Delicious Polish Onion Soup
- You can make croutons at home or buy them in the store.
- Eat onion soup in the fall and winter seasons!
- It tastes better the next day!
- You can add different spices that you like – thyme is a great option!
- Replace water with meat broth for more flavor!
- If you want a thicker soup, add a few spoons of flour mixed with water.
- Serve hot so that you taste the flavor of the onions. Also, the cheese is gooey when hot!
- You can also serve the soup in a hollowed-out bread bowl like zurek.
FAQs About Zupa Cebulowa – Polish Onion Soup Recipe
Which Cheese Should I Use For Sprinkling?
How To Make Croutons At Home?
To make croutons at home, cut old bread into 1-cm cubes and fry with oil. You can add a dash of salt if you like..
Which Wine Should I Add To The Onion Soup?
Add a dry white wine that’s not sweet. Dry wine will enhance the flavor but sweet wine will be overpowering.
How To Store Onion Soup?
Store onion soup in the refrigerator and finish in 3 days.
Polish Onion Soup Recipe [Zupa Cebulowa]
- 4 onions
- 2 tbsps of butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 cups of water
- 8 tbsps of dry white wine (or lemon juice)
- salt. pepper
- croutons and parmesan to serve
- Peel and cut onions into half-moons.
- Saute onions with butter.
- Add allspice berries, bay leaves, and water. Cook slowly for about 30 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Remove allspice berries and bay leaves, and blend the soup.
- Add wine or lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with parmesan and croutons.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this zupa cebulowa Polish onion soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!