Polish poppy seed filling is a sweet jam-like filling used in Polish Christmas and Easter snacks and dishes. Easy to make at home, this poppy seed filling is rich and tasty.
What Is The Polish Poppy Seed Filling Used For?
This traditional Polish filling made of poppy seeds and dried fruit is often used in the makowiec rolls that are presented at the Christmas dinner table along with other Polish delicacies such as piernik – gingerbread or keks – fruitcake.
But the best use of this Polish poppy seed filling is as a base for many Polish dishes including:
How To Make Polish Poppy Seed Filling
First step. Don’t worry! There isn’t enough morphine in the poppy seed filling to have any major effect on you or anyone else eating it.
Once the poppy seeds are cooked, grind them a few times to form a smooth paste.
Add the chopped walnuts, and the remaining ingredients to the seed paste and mix well. You can use the mixture as a filling for different pastries such as makowiec or kluski z makiem.
Tips To Make Poppy Seed Filling
- You can soak the poppy seeds in milk or water.
- You can replace walnuts with other nuts of your choice – pecans, almonds, hazelnuts.
- If you don’t find cranberries, replace them with dried cherries or blueberries.
- For a different flavor, replace the orange peel with candied lemon peel or mixed candied peel.
- It’s best to refrigerate the Polish poppy seed filling for 10 to 20 minutes before using it as a spread.
FAQs About Making Poppy Seed Filling
What Do I Do If I Can’t Find Poppy Seeds?
If you can’t find poppy seeds or don’t want to cook the poppy seeds, you can buy Polish ground poppy seed paste and use it as a replacement.
If Poppies Contain Opium, Is It Safe To Eat This Poppy Seed Filling?
Food regulations observed by poppy seed growers ensure that only poppies that have a very low morphine content are harvested for food purposes. So yes, it’s safe to eat this poppy seed filling.
How Should I Grind The Poppy Seeds?
Poppy seeds are a little difficult to grind. The traditional method of grinding was to use a mortar and pestle and took a long time. However, nowadays if you use a spice grinder or a coffee grinder, it should work pretty well.
How Long Can I Store This Polish Poppy Seed Spread?
You can store the sweet jam-like Polish poppy seed mixture in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 days or in the freezer for 4 to 5 months.
How To Make Poppy Seed Filling?
- 2 cups of poppy seeds
- 2 cups of milk (or water)
- 2.5oz (70g) of dried apricots
- 2.5oz (70g) of dried cranberries
- 2.5oz (70g) of raisins
- 2.5oz (70g) of candied orange peel dices
- 2.5oz (70g) of ground walnuts
- 4 tbsps of honey
- 4 tbsps of butter
- Rinse and drain the poppy seeds.
- Cover the poppy seeds with milk or water and cook for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice dried apricots.
- Drain the poppy seeds then grind them once or twice.
- Add honey, butter, ground walnuts, and dried fruits. Mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 7gSugar: 20gProtein: 9g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish poppy seed filling recipe? Let us know in the comments below!