Christmas is just around the corner! If you want to bake a traditional holiday cake from Poland, you will love this Polish keks recipe.
Polish fruitcake is quite similar to this you can eat in many other countries in the world, for example, the UK. However, the version from Poland is loaded with dried fruits and nuts and dough is there only to put it all together in one piece.
Things To Know About Polish Fruitcake
Did you know that we have one word in Poland for dried/candied fruits and nuts? It’s called bakalie. According to the superstition, you need to eat bakalie on Christmas Eve dinner (Wigilia). Poles believe it will bring them happiness, abundance, fertility, and health.
Keks is loaded with bakalie, so it’s a great cake to serve on the Christmas table.
Tips For Making Polish Keks
Polish fruitcake is super easy and fast to make. All you need to have are dried fruits, nuts, sugar, flour, eggs, and a bit of butter.
I recommend not adding all bakalie to the cake and leave some to decorate the keks.
My favorite version has a white chocolate topping. It’s so delicious!
Polish Fruitcake Keks Recipe
- 1/2 cup of flour + 2 tbsps
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1.5-2 lbs of dried fruits and nuts
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp of cinammon
- 8 oz of white chocolate (optional)
- 2-3 tbsps of milk (optional)
- Melt the butter and leave to cool off.
- Preheat the oven to 347°F (175°C).
- Finely chop the nuts and dried fruits. Leave 4 tbsps for the decoration. Coat the rest with flour (1-2 tbsps).
- Mix egg yolks and sugar until the mixture turns pale in color.
- Add the cold melted butter, cinnamon, and flour.
- Add chopped nuts and fruits.
- Whisk egg whites with a bit of salt until you will get the white, stiff foam.
- Start adding the whisked egg whites to the dough. Mix using the spoon, slowly.
- Pour the dough into the greased fruitcake pan [rectangular shape].
- Bake for one hour.
- Melt the white chocolate with 2-3 tbsps of milk and pour it on top of the cold cake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and dried fruits.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 8gSugar: 62gProtein: 7g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish fruitcake keks recipe? Let us know in the comments below!