Cynaderki wieprzowe or Polish pork kidneys are a traditional Polish dish that was once quite popular in restaurants across Poland. Full of nutrients, pork kidney can be easily made at home and tastes really good!
What Is Cynaderki Wieprzowe?
Meat is the most popular food in Poland, and pork tops the list of meats eaten here. Even offal items such as liver, kidneys, hearts find their way into Polish dishes and can be seen eaten across the country.
Taking very little prep time and cook time, all that the cynaderki wieprzowe requires is a good amount of resting time. It tastes even better when reheated the next day!
How To Make Polish Cynaderki Wieprzowe
Cut the kidneys horizontally and remove all membranes. Cover with cold water and let it rest for an hour. Change the water and let the kidneys rest for another hour. This allows all the impurities and excess blood to drain from the kidneys.
While the kidney is soaking cut the onions into half-moons and fry them in oil.
Once the onions are caramelized, drain the soaked kidneys and fry with the onions before adding spices and flour.
Add water or rosol broth and simmer till the pork kidneys are soft. Serve with rice, groats, or any bread of your choice!
What To Serve With Cynaderki Wieprzowe?
You can serve Cynaderki Wieprzowe with almost anything. Here are some good options:
- Groats or rice
- Boiled, mashed, or fried potatoes
- Roasted carrots or asparagus
- Dill Pickles
- Shredded beetroot salad
- Mashed potatoes
- Creamed peas and carrots salad
- Toasted bread
Tips For Making Cynaderki Wieprzowe
- You can soak the kidneys in milk if you don’t want them to smell too intense.
- Serve with dill pickles and groats or beetroot salad and rice.
- You can add chopped leeks and carrots to the broth while cooking.
- For a creamier sauce, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of cream to the broth while cooking.
- Top with chopped parsley and sour cream or butter before serving!
FAQs About Polish Pork Kidney Recipe
What Other Polish Pork Dishes Can I Make?
Other Polish pork dishes you can make are:
- Prune stuffed pork loins
- Pork chops stuffed with mushrooms
- Poznan style pork hocks
- Schabowy pork cutlets
- Kotlety Mielone made with ground pork
- Watrobka wieprzowa
- Golonka w Piwie
Why Eat Dishes Made With Offal?
Offal meats such as kidneys, liver, heart, tongues may seem strange to the palate, but they are actually high in nutrients. Often considered healthier than normal meat, they’re always a good addition to the diet.
Why Soak The Kidneys In Water Or Milk?
Soaking the kidneys in water or milk helps to drain the excess blood and also to remove unpleasant odors from the kidneys.
What Other Offal Meats Can I Use In This Recipe?
You can use the same recipe with veal kidneys, lamb kidneys, or goat kidneys.
What Other Polish Offal Dishes Can I Make?
Other Polish offal dishes you can try are:
How To Store Polish Pork Kidney?
Store in a covered pot in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days and reheat before serving. It can also last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Polish Pork Kidney Recipe [Cynaderki Wieprzowe]
- 4 pork kidneys
- 4 onions
- 2-3 tbsps of pork lard or oil
- 3 tbsps of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- a pinch of marjoram (optional)
- 2-3 cups of water or broth
- fresh parsley to decorate
- Cut the kidneys horizontally.
- Remove all the strings and membranes.
- Cover with fresh cold water and leave them like that for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and cut the kidneys into strips and cover them with fresh cold water. Keep them like that for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and cut the onions into half-moons.
- Fry the onions in oil.
- In the meantime, dry the kidney strips and add them to the caramelized onions.
- Fry for a few minutes, then add the flour and spices.
- Cover with water or broth and simmer for about 10 minutes until the meat is soft. Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 432mgSodium: 765mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 31g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Do you like this Polish pork kidney recipe [cynaderki wieprzowe]? Let us know in the comments below!