Canned cucumber salad is another traditional Polish dish that every family makes. The curried cucumber salad is easy to make in less than an hour and lasts for many months in pasteurized jars!
Made by adding mustard, allspice, curry powder, and more to the jar, the resulting spicy fermented cucumber pickles are zingy, tangy, and spicy at the same time! Making these curry cucumbers is definitely an hour well spent. Prepare them just before autumn and make enough to last through winter!
How To Make Canned Curry Cucumber Salad?
To make ogorki z curry, you start by sterilizing the jars and lids with boiling hot water.
The next step is washing and slicing the cucumbers. You can cut them in circles or thin sticks.
In a large pot, mix all the spices with water and boil. At the same time, peel and slice onions and set them aside.
Place the sliced cucumbers in the jars and top them with water. Cover the cucumbers with a slice of onion and some oil, then close and pasteurize the jars. And the curry cucumber salad is ready.
What To Serve Ogorki Z Curry With?
You can also add curried cucumber to sandwiches, burgers, tortilla wraps, or eat them with buttered bread. They’re perfect to eat plain too!
Tips For The Tastiest Homemade Ogorki Z Curry
- You don’t need to peel the cucumbers! Just wash them well before use.
- The onion, mustard, and curry powder add a bit of spiciness to the cucumber salad, but you can skip any of these that you want to.
- You can also add any other spices you prefer – paprika, pepper powder, etc.
- Make sure you use only glass jars and not plastic. Also, if reusing old jars, make sure they are in good condition.
- Store the pickles in a cool dry place.
- The longer you allow it to ferment, the better the curry cucumber salad tastes!
- Refrigerate the jars once opened.
FAQs About Making Homemade Canned Curry Cucumber Salad
Which Cucumbers Should I Use For Ogorki Z Curry?
To make ogorki z curry, you can use any good quality fresh cucumbers. It’s best to mini organic cucumbers for finer slices.
Do I Have To Cut The Cucumber In Round Slices?
No, you can cut the cucumber however you want – long sticks, diced cubes, or thin rounds. I prefer thin rounds so that the flavor is absorbed quicker.
How To Store Canned Curry Cucumber Salad?
The canned curry cucumber salad jars should be stored in cold dry places once they’ve been pasteurized. After the jar has been opened, it should be stored in the fridge.
Can I Use This Recipe With Other Vegetables?
Yes, you can use the canned curry salad recipe for bell peppers, zucchini, wild mushrooms, onions, garlic, beets, carrots, or most other vegetables.
Homemade Canned Curry Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 8.8lbs (4kg) of cucumbers (gherkins or pickles)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 ½ cup of vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp of salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsps of curry powder
- onions (1 slice per jar)
- 2 tbsps of mustard seeds
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 bay leaves
- oil (1tbsp per jar)
How To Make Homemade Canned Curry Cucumber Salad?
- Wash and slice the cucumbers.
- Check whether the jar lids are not damaged in any way. They need to be in perfect condition.
- Sterilize jars and lids with boiling hot water.
- In a pot, mix water, vinegar, salt, sugar, curry, allspice berries, bay leaves, and mustard seeds. Bring to boil.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place sliced cucumbers in the jars.
- Fill the jars with water mixture, leaving about ½'' of free space to the top.
- Place 1 slice of onion and 1 tbsps of oil on top of each jar.
- Cap the jars then pasteurize them.
How To Pasteurize The Jars?
- Put the dishcloth on the bottom of the big pot.
- Put the jars into the pot. The jars cannot touch each other and the sides of the pot.
- Pour the water until it covers 3/4 of the jars. The temperature of the water should match the temperature of the jars. If they are cold, the water should be cold as well.
- Boil the water with jars for 15 minutes. Be sure that the temperature is not too high, jars can't jump or touch each other.
- Carefully take the jars out of the pot using oven mitts or canning jar lifter.
- Put them upside down and wait until they cool off. If you want to make sure the pasteurization process went right, you can cover the jars with blankets to enhance the effect.
- This homemade canned curry cucumber salad can be stored in a dark, cold place for up to a year.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 421mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this canned curry cucumber salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!