A popular Polish side dish, especially during autumn and winter this Ogorki z Chilli or canned cucumber bell pepper salad is the perfect accompaniment to meaty dishes!
Cucumber-based pickles and salads are such a big part of the Polish culture, we have so many varieties of them. During the months of autumn and winter, these pickles are eaten with relish all over Poland.
What Pickles And Salads Are Made With Cucumbers?
Some popular Polish salads and pickles made with cucumber are:
How To Make Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad – Ogorki Z Chilli
Canned bell pepper salad is made using a similar procedure to the canned cucumber salad. First, sterilize the jars and lids by using boiling hot water.
The next step is washing and cutting the cucumbers into sticks and the onions into half-moons. These cut veggies are added to a large pot, seasoned with salt, and left overnight.
In the morning, the water that drains from the cucumber is removed and crushed garlic is added. Oil, sugar, and vinegar are boiled and used to top the cucumbers.
Once the mix has cooled bell pepper sticks are added and the salad is allowed to rest for a few hours.
The last step involves transferring it to glass jars or mason jars and pasteurizing the jars. That’s how this tasty bell pepper cucumber salad is made!
What To Serve Ogorki Z Chili With?
Ogorki Z Chili or canned cucumber bell pepper salad can be served as a side dish with:
- Polish Pork Liver
- Buttered bread
- Polish Lasagna
- Jellied Tongue
- Prazoki made from mashed potatoes
- Kotlety Mielone
- Golumpki Rolls
- Roladki Wieprzowe meatrolls
You can also add it to sandwiches or serve it as a pickle to drink with vodka!
Tips For Making Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad At Home
- You don’t have to peel the cucumbers! Just wash them well before use.
- Store the jars in a cool dry place after pasteurizing them.
- The longer you allow the cucumber and bell pepper salad to ferment, the better it will taste!
- If you want it sweeter, you can add more red peppers to the recipe.
- If you want the salad super spicy, add 1 or 2 chopped habanero chilies.
- The temperature of the water should match the temperature of the jars while pasteurizing or they will crack.
- Refrigerate the jars once opened.
FAQs About Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad Recipe
Which Vegetables Should I Use For Ogorki Z Chilli?
What Other Polish Dishes Can I Make With Cucumbers?
You can make some Polish soups, salads using cucumber.
How To Store Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad?
Store the canned bell pepper and cucumber salad jars in a cool dry place. After you open a jar, it should be stored in the fridge.
Homemade Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad Recipe
- 5.5lbs (2.5kg) of cucumbers (gherkins or pickles)
- 2.2lbs (1kg) of red bell peppers
- 4 big onions
- 1 garlic
- 4 tbsps of salt
- 3 tbsps of chilli powder
- 8 tbsps of oil
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of vinegar
How To Make Homemade Canned Cucumber Bell Pepper Salad?
- Wash and cut cucumbers into sticks.
- Peel and cut onions into half-moons.
- Place the veggies in a big pot and season with 4 tbsps of salt.
- Leave them in a cold place overnight.
- The next day, drain the cucumbers (they will lose water because of salt).
- Peel and crush the garlic. Add it to cucumbers.
- Mix oil, sugar, and vinegar in a pot. Bring to boil.
- Pour the boiling hot mixture onto the cucumbers. Mix and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, wash the bell peppers and cut them into sticks.
- When the cucumbers are cold, add the bell pepper sticks.
- Let the salad rest for about 4-6 hours.
- Transfer the salad and water into the clean, sterilized jars.
- Cap the jars then pasteurize them.
How To Pasteurize The Jars?
- Put the dishcloth on the bottom of the big pot.
- Put the jars into the pot. The jars cannot touch each other and the sides of the pot.
- Pour the water until it covers 3/4 of the jars. The temperature of the water should match the temperature of the jars. If they are cold, the water should be cold as well.
- Boil the water with jars for 15 minutes. Be sure that the temperature is not too high, jars can't jump or touch each other.
- Carefully take the jars out of the pot using oven mitts or canning jar lifter.
- Put them upside down and wait until they cool off. If you want to make sure the pasteurization process went right, you can cover the jars with blankets to enhance the effect.
- This homemade canned cucumber bell pepper salad can be stored in a dark, cold place for up to a year.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1908mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this canned bell pepper cucumber salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!