The appetizing Polish uszka salad of uszka dumplings, veggies, and a garlicky mayo sauce is the perfect side dish for a Polish dinner. You can also use it as a tasty snack!
All About The Polish Uszka Salad – Sałatka Z Uszkami
The salad made with uszka, also called the salatka z uszkami is a Polish salad that’s eaten ever so often. Easy to make, it requires minimal prep time if you have all the ingredients ready.
You’ll often find the salatka z uszkami on dinner tables at Easter, Christmas or other celebrations. It’s relatively easy to make, and just requires you to cook or reheat the uszka in salted water before adding it to the rest of the salad.
If you add cheese, the salad is called salatka z uszkami i serem! Polish tortellini salad is perfect as a side dish for meaty Polish dishes such as golonka w piwie, schabowy cutlets, or even with kaczka faszerowana mięsem.
How To Make Polish Tortellini Salad?
This Polish tortellini salad is easy to make with minimal prep time. You’ll need leftover uszka dumplings, hard-boiled eggs, shredded cabbage or lettuce, diced tomatoes and onions, bell pepper strips, and a garlic-flavored mayo-yogurt sauce.
All you need to do is layer all the ingredients for the salad in the order below in a wide bowl and it’s ready to serve.
Shredded lettuce goes at the bottom followed by tomatoes, bell peppers and the uszka dumplings.
Next, come the quarters of eggs, garlic sauce, and onions. Top this with the pomegranate seeds or cranberries and the salad is ready to serve!
Tips For Making Polish Tortellini Salad – Sałatka Z Uszkami
- This salad is usually made with leftover uszka dumplings, however you may use Italian tortellini as well.
- You can serve Polish tortellini salad as a side dish or as a main dish with crunchy toasted bread!
- It is not necessary to layer the ingredients, but it looks nice!
- Add a bit of vinegar or dill pickle water in the salad for some tangy flavor.
- You can increase the quantity of your favorite ingredient in the salad.
- For a meaty option, you can add fried and chopped kielbasa sausages to the salad!
- Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley if you wish!
Popularly Asked Questions About Polish Uszka Salad
What Else Can I Add To The Polish Uszka Salad?
You can add any veggies of your choice to the Polish tortellini salad. Some good options are:
- boiled corn
- boiled and diced chicken
- fried kielbasa sausages
- ham or bacon bits
- chopped dill pickles
- fresh basil leaves
- crumbled farmer’s cheese or tasty Parmesan cheese
- boiled and chopped mushrooms
- fried bacon
What Is The Difference Between Tortellini And Uszka?
Tortellini are Italian dumplings that are ring-shaped just like uszka and can be stuffed with cheese, meat, mushrooms or more. Little ear dumplings or uszka on the other hand are Polish dumplings that are stuffed with mushrooms, cheese, minced meat or more. The real difference? Just the culture!
Can I Use Anything Else Instead of Uszka Dumplings?
The Polish ravioli salad is usually made with leftover uszka. But if you’re in a hurry or don’t have uszka dumplings, you can use Italian tortellini pasta which have a similar shape. If you can’t find tortellini in stores near you, then you can use Italian ravioli too.
How To Serve Uszka Salad?
Uszka salad can be served warm or cold. Serve it as a side with meaty dishes, or serve it with some crunchy toasted bread!
How To Store Uszka Salad?
Polish uszka dumpling salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. Serve cold!
Polish Tortellini Salad Recipe
- 7 oz (200g) of cooked uszka or tortellini
- 1 napa cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsps of Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsps of mayonnaise
- a handful or fresh pomegranate seeds or cranberries
- salt, pepper
- Take a wide flat plate or bowl. Place ripped lettuce or chopped cabbage on the bottom.
- Mix yogurt with mayo, crushed garlic clove, salt, and pepper.
- Peel and cut the eggs in quarters.
- Peel and cut the red onion into half-moons.
- Wash and dice a tomato.
- Wash and cut bell peppers into short strips.
- Layer the salad ingredients in the following order:
pomegranate seeds or cranberries
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Dried Cranberries - Żurawina suszona
- Greek Yogurt - Jogurt grecki
- Majonez KIELECKI Mayo No preservatives
- Organic Garlic - Czosnek
- Red Onion - Czerwona cebula
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
- Tomatoes - Pomidory
- Salad Bag -Sałata
- Napa Chinese Cabbage - Kapusta pekińska
- Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 204mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 13g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish tortellini salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!