Have you ever heard of garnek chłopski? It literally means the peasant pot. The dish was usually served to farmers before they went working in the field. Keep on reading to get my Polish sausage and potatoes recipe!
About Garnek Chłopski
Garnek chłopski should be fatty and caloric. It should keep you full for hours. Although you can find the specific Polish sausage and potatoes recipe below, you may change it the way you like.
The top 3 ingredients that garnek chłopski should include are:
- meat (sausage, bacon, etc.)
When it comes to the other veggies, you may add whatever you like. That’s why I love garnek chłopski. You may simply add to it all the leftover vegetables you have in your fridge!
Tips For Making Garnek Chłopski- Polish Sausage And Potatoes
Make It Spicy.
The dish should not only be fatty but also spicy. Traditionally, the black pepper powder is what makes the dish hot. However, you may add chili as well.
Add All The Veggies You Like.
As I mentioned before, it’s totally up to you what veggies you will add!
Pasta Is Optional.
Some people add cooked pasta to garnek chłopski. It’s not necessary though.
Add Any Meat You Like.
Polish sausage is the most popular meat to add to garnek chłopski, however, you may add others, such as:
- ground pork
- leftover cutlets (schabowy, mielony, etc)
- klopsiki (Polish meatballs)
- vegan meat
- any other
What To Serve Garnek Chłopski With?
Polish sausage and potatoes dish should be served solo or with bread.
Garnek chłopski is caloric, it already has potatoes and veggies inside, so you don’t need to add anything else to the dish.
Remember to serve it hot! If you want, you may decorate it with fresh chopped dill or parsley.
How To Store Polish Sausage And Potatoes?
You can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Garnek chłopski can be also freezed. Keep it frozen for up to 4 months.
Polish Sausage And Potatoes Garnek Chlopski Recipe
- 14oz (400g) of sausage
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 1 celery root
- 3 potatoes
- 1 tomato
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 leek
- ½ of small cabbage
- 2 tbsps of tomato paste
- salt, pepper, herbs
- 1 cup (50g) of pasta
- Dice the sausage.
- Peel and cut the onion into half moons.
- Fry the sausage, onion and pressed/crushed in oil.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the potatoes, carrot, celery and parsley roots.
- Wash and dice the pepper and tomato.
- Shred the cabbage.
- Cut the leek into rings.
- Add the veggies to the fried onion, sausage, and garlic.
- Cover the veggies with water (as little as possible) and cook until soft.
- Add tomato paste.
- Mix and season with salt, pepper, and herbs (marjoram, rosemary, basil, etc.). Garnek chłopski should be spicy.
- (Optionally) Add cooked pasta.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Smoked Garlic Kielbasa Sausage 3 lbs.
- Yellow Conventional - Cebula
- Carrot Organic - Marchewka
- Root Parsnips Organic - Pasternak
- Parsley - Natka Pietruszki
- Yellow Bell Pepper Organic - Papryka żółta
- Green Bell Pepper - Papryka zielona
- Orange Bell Pepper - Papryka pomarańczowa
- Leek - Por
- Cabbage Organic - Kapusta
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish potatoes and sausage recipe? Let us know in the comments below!