Easier to make than it looks, the Polish mole mound cake or kopiec kreta is delicious! Make this cake for celebrations or simply for an indulgent dessert!
What Is Kopiec Kreta – Mole Mound Cake?
I remember helping babcia to make the kopiec kreta when we were young. While the cake was in the fridge setting, she would let us have some of the leftover crumbs with mascarpone cream. It was a delight!
What is kopiec kreta?
Kopiec kreta or ‘mound of Crete’ is a Polish mole mound cake or mole hill cake that looks like quite a feat to design, but is realistically simple. Make it for afternoon tea, or enjoy it for birthdays, dinner parties, holidays or celebrations.
How To Make Mole Mound Cake
Step I – Make The Dough
Preheat the oven and grease the cake pan. In one bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
In another bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar till fluffy. Separately add oil, milk or cocoa while beating. Next, add the beaten egg whites gently with a spoon, and finally add the flour and mix.
Pour into a cake pan, bake for half an hour and allow to cool.
Step II – Prepare The Mascarpone Cream
Beat chilled heavy cream till it’s stiff, then add mascarpone and icing sugar, and mix. You can also add a few tablespoons or finely crushed crumbs or a dash of vanilla extract to the mascarpone cream.
Step III – Assemble The Mole Mound Cake
Hollow out the center of the cake. Place peeled ripe bananas in the center and cover with mascarpone cream.
Sprinkle the top of the cream with some of the pieces of the cake from the hollow. Refrigerate for a few 2 hours before serving.
Tips For Making Mole Mound Cake
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before you use them.
- You can add a few drops of vanilla extract to the mascarpone cream.
- Try to use very ripe bananas for the cake.
- If you want the bananas to stay white in color, sprinkle them with lemon juice before using.
- You can mix some sweetened coconut flakes with the cake crumbs.
- You can mix a few cake crumbs with the mascarpone cream for a spotted look!
- You can mix in some fresh strawberries with the cream and ripe bananas!
- For a richer cake, mix the crumbs with sugar syrup or jam before adding to the top of the mascarpone cream.
- This cake tastes better the next day!
- Serve with tea or hot coffee!
FAQs About Polish Kopiec Kreta
Which Other Countries Make The Kopiec Kreta?
A similar cake is made in Germany and is called Maulwurftorte.
What To Do With The Hollowed Out Pieces Of Cake?
Which Cake Pan Should I Use?
Can I Make Individual Sized Mole Mound Cakes?
Yes, you can make the same recipe using muffins . It will require a bit more time, and you will also need to cut the ripe bananas to fit into the muffins, but it will be delicious!
How To Store Polish Mole Mound Cake?
Mound cake can be stored in the refrigerator. Finish within 5 to 6 days.
Mole Mound Cake Recipe [Kopiec Kreta]
Chocolate Cake Dough
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar (or xylitol)
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of oil
- 4 tbsps of cocoa
- 9 oz (250g) of mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 tbsps of icing sugar
- (optionally) ½ cup of shredded chocolate flakes/ chocolate chips
- 5 ripe bananas
Direction For Making The Dough
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Grease the 8'' round cake pan with oil or butter.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until you will get a fluffy consistency.
- Add oil and beat again.
- Add milk, and cocoa, flour, and beat again.
- Using a spoon, carefully add the beaten egg whites. Stir in one direction only.
- Place the dough in the cake pan. Bake for about 30 minutes. Let it cool down.
Direction For Making The Mascarpone Cream
- Beat the chilled heavy cream until stiff.
- Add mascarpone, icing sugar, and mix.
Direction For Assembling The Mole Mound Cake
- Hollow out the cake, leaving the bottom and the edges untouched.
- Place the peeled bananas inside the recess.
- Cover with mascarpone cream.
- Sprinkle the cream with little chunks of the cake that you hollowed out.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Heavy Cream - Śmietana kremówka
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Cacao Powder - Kakao
- Sunflower Oil - Olej słonecznikowy
- Rapeseed Oil - Olej Rzepakowy
- Milk - Mleko
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
- Xylitol Sweetener - Ksylitol
- Sugar - Cukier
- Powdered Sugar - Cukier puder
- Round Cake Pan - Okrągła blacha tortowa
- Parchment Paper Roll - Papier do pieczenia
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this kopiec kreta mole mound cake recipe? Let us know in the comments below!