Even though Polish food is based on meat and dairy, you will be surprised how easy it easy to make the traditional recipes from Poland vegan! In this post, you will find the vegan pierogi recipe.
I’ve been doing my best to make my vegan pierogi ruskie taste EXACTLY THE SAME as the traditional pierogi ruskie. It’s been easy with the dough but it took me a while to come up with an idea for a vegan filling.
I think I succeeded- I asked my family to try these vegan pierogi and no one realized that the dish is vegan. They said my vegan pierogi taste like the standard pierogi ruskie.
Here’s the video where I show how to make vegan pierogi, step by step.
Tips For Making Vegan Pierogi
1. Make Sure No Filling Gets Between The Dough When Sealing
When the filling will get between the dough when sealing, vegan pierogi may fall apart during the cooking.
2. If You Want, Use Vegan Butter Instead Of Oil
You can use any kind of fat, just make sure it’s unscented.
3. If You Want, Use Fresh or Frozen Fruits Instead Of Potato Filling.
Use the vegan pierogi dough recipe to make the pierogi with fruits.
If you are using frozen fruits, don’t defrost them before sealing.
Read my post about the best add-ons for pierogi.
Vegan Pierogi Recipe
Dough For Vegan Pierogi
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 4 tbsps of oil
- 1/2 tsp of salt
Vegan Pierogi Ruskie Filling
- 1.5 lbs of potatoes
- 7 oz tofu
- 1 big onion
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 5 tbsps of oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- ⅓ tsp of pepper
How To Make Vegan Pierogi Dough?
- Sift the flour into the big bowl.
- Add oil and salt.
- Start adding the water slowly, letting it incorporate before adding more. When you are done, whisk the dough together with a hand or dough hook attachment. Whisk until all the ingredients are incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
How To Make Vegan Pierogi Filling?
- Peel and boil the potatoes.
- Peel and dice the onion. Carmelize it on oil.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Dice the tofu.
- Mix potatoes with tofu, onion, and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
How To Form Vegan Pierogi Ruskie?
- After 30 minutes or so, thinly roll each piece out onto a floured surface to just under 1/16 - 1/8” thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut the circles from the dough.
- Put the filling (1/2-3 teaspoons) in the center of each circle. The more filling the better, however, you need to be sure it stays inside pierogi. When the filling will get between the dough when sealing, pierogi may fall apart during the cooking.
- Pull the edges of each circle together to form pierogi. Make sure the seal is continuous and intact. You can't leave any free space, as pierogi will fall apart during the cooking. Pinch tightly.
- Collect the remaining dough scraps and put them to the other 2 dough pieces. Repeat the process until the entire filling and dough are used.
How To Cook Vegan Pierogi Ruskie?
- Pour the water into the big pot. Add 2 pinches of salt. Boil.
- Gently throw pierogi, one by one into the boiling water.
- When they start floating, wait for a minute and take them out with the slotted spoon.
- Pour the oil on top.
You can use fresh/ frozen fruits instead of the potato filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pin For Later:
Did you like this vegan pierogi recipe? Let us know in the comments below!