Rolada Szpinakowa is a healthy party appetizer made with cream cheese and salmon in spinach-based dough. This delicious roulade is tasty and often eaten for Easter, Christmas or other Polish celebrations!
All About Rolada Szpinakowa
Rolada Szpinakowa are the Polish version of a roulade made with salmon, cheese in a dough of spinach leaves. Is the salmon spinach roll a Polish dish? We don’t think so, but no one knows where it originated. It could be French or Italian, or from somewhere else entirely.
The word rolada or roulade comes from the French word rouler which means ‘to roll’.
It can be made with meat or sweet or savory pastries. The meat version involves thin slices of meat lathered with cooked onions, pickles, spices or sauces and then rolled just like a Swiss roll. A skewer or string is usually used to hold the meat in place while it’s cooked in broth or wine.
For sweet pastry roulades, a slice of sponge cake is often rolled around a filling of buttercream, jam, nuts or chocolate.
The savory pastry roulades use a bread-like dough made of flour or cooked veggies. For example, carrot roulades use grated carrots to make the dough, while spinach roulades use cooked spinach leaves to prepare the dough.
Our rolada szpinakowa is made a filling of salmon and cream cheese. When it’s made with feta cheese, it’s called rolada szpinakowa z feta i lososiem.
These salmon spring rolls may look difficult to make, but they’re in fact very easy! Add them to your table and delight the guests. Plus, you don’t have to wait till Christmas or Easter to make them. They’re perfect for any time of the year!
How To Make Salmon Spinach Roll – Rolada Szpinakowa
Fry the frozen dried spinach with crushed garlic and butter till all the water has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
Mix the flour and egg yolks with the spinach, followed by beaten egg whites. Pour onto a lined pan and bake for a short while.
Once the bread has cooled, spread the mix of cream cheese and horseradish on it followed by the diced salmon.
Roll into a log and refrigerate the salmon spinach roll for a few hours before cutting and serving.
Tip s For Making Polish Salmon Spinach Roll
- Defrost the spinach before using it.
- You can add about 100 grams of crumbled farmer’s cheese to the dough ingredients to make it stretchy.
- You can make the dough as thick or as thin as you like.
- Don’t cook the spinach dough for too long or it will crack while baking.
- If you have time, prepare the spinach dough a day ahead, since it needs some refrigeration time!
- After rolling it, wrap the spinach roll in aluminum foil before refrigeration.
- You can serve with a spicy dip, but it’s not necessary.
- Fill your Easter snack platter with salmon spinach rolls, cheese slices, and cured meats.
FAQs About Rolada Szpinakowa]
Which Cream Cheese Should I Use?
You can use any cream cheese of your choice. Philadelphia Cream cheese or any others will work.
Can I Use Anything Else Instead Of Salmon?
Can I Use Fresh Spinach?
Yes, you can use fresh spinach. But since it loses water while cooking, you’ll need to use 1.5 times the original amount.
Will The Spinach Roll Get Stuck To The Parchment Paper. How Do I Remove It?
I Don’t Like Horseradish. Do I Have To Use It?
If you don’t want to use horse radish, you can mix in chopped dill or fresh parsley with the cream cheese.
How To Store The Salmon Spinach Roll?
Store the rolada szpinakowa in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and serve cold!
Salmon Spinach Roll Recipe [Rolada Szpinakowa]
- 18 oz (500g) of frozen chopped spinach
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsps of all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps of butter
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- 11oz (300g) of cream cheese
- 1 tbsp of grated horseradish
- 1 tbsp of mayonnaise
- 11oz (300g) of smoked salmon
- Fry the spinach with butter and crushed garlic cloves. Drain or wait until the water evaporates and spinach is completely dry.
- Allow to cool. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Separate the egg yolks from egg whites.
- Mix spinach with egg yolks, and flour.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Using a spoon, add beaten egg whites to spinach dough.
- Spread the dough on the baking tray (14''x 17'') lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- After baking, turn the cake upside down and allow to cool.
- Mix cream cheese with mayonnaise and horseradish. Spread it on the spinach dough.
- Dice the salmon, then put it on the cheese spread.
- Roll up into a log.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut in slices and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Smoked Salmon - łosoś wędzony
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese - Serek Philadelphia
- Chrzan - Polonaise Horseradish
- Horseradish Root - Chrzan korzeń
- Majonez KIELECKI Mayo No preservatives
- Spinach Chopped Frozen - Szpinak mrożony
- Organic Garlic - Czosnek
- Butter Unsalted - Masło
- Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
- All Purpose Flour
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Salmon spinach roll recipe? Let us know in the comments below!