Polish golumpki are one of the most popular Polish food. No wonder why! The stuffed cabbage rolls are delicious and pretty unique. The traditional version of this dish includes the meat in the filling. That doesn’t mean that golumpki are not for vegans! Keep on reading to get my vegan golabki recipe that everyone will love.
If you prefer watching instead of reading, click on the video below, here I am showing how to make Polish vegan golabki, step by step.
Tips For Making Vegan Golabki
Use White Cabbage Or Savoy Cabbage.
It’s definitely easier with the savoy cabbage, as the leaves are not that tough. However, you traditionally make golabki with white cabbage.
Cook Your Vegan Golabki In The Oven Or On The Stove.
My vegan golumpki recipe recommends cooking vegan golumpki in the oven (in the heat-resistant dish). However, you can cook them in the pot, on the stove as well.
Serve Them With The Tomato Sauce.
Tomato sauce is the most popular add-on to golabki. However, some Polish housewives are using Polish mushroom sauce as well.
How To Heat Up Golabki?
It’s not that easy to heat up the golabki the next day. They may fall apart or be cold inside.
Here are the best ways to heat your vegan golabki up:
- in microwave
- on the pan with water (1/2 of golabki should be covered with water)
- in the oven (using heat resistant vessel)
How To Store Golabki?
- up to 4 days in the fridge for
- up to 3 months in the freezer
Keep the sauce and vegan gołąbki separately!
See also my keto gołąbki recipe.
Polish Vegan Golabki Recipe
Polish Vegan Golabki Recipe That You Will Love!
The stuffed cabbage rolls are delicious and pretty unique. The traditional version of this dish includes the meat in the filling. That doesn't mean that golumpki are not for vegans! Keep on reading to get my vegan golabki recipe that everyone will love.
- 1 cabbage
- 1 cup of buckwheat groat (roasted or unroasted)
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 4 cups of mushrooms (champignons)
- 3 onions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 5 tbsps of oil
- salt, pepper
How To Make The Filling For Vegan Gołąbki?
- Cook the buckwheat groats and rice until soft.
- Peel the onions and garlic. Chop them finely and carmelize with 5 tablespoons of oil.
- Wash and dice the mushrooms. Fry them on oil until soft.
- Mix rice, buckwheat, mushrooms, and ⅔ of fried garlic and onion together. Season with salt and pepper. If the filling is too dry, add more oil to make sure it's easy to wrap in the cabbage leaves.
How To Form Vegan Gołąbki?
- Wash the cabbage and remove the outer leaves.
- Depending on the type of cabbage, boil for 1-10 minutes, until the leaves are softer and flexible enough to form gołąbki.
- Remove the core and put the cabbage inside the boiling hot salty water.
- Drain and cool down the cabbage. Leave the water from the cabbage, you will need it later.
- Separate the leaves- you will use each leave to form gołąbek.
- Place 2-3 cabbage leaves on the bottom of the heat-resistant dish.
- Start forming gołąbki: take each leave, put the filling inside, and wrap carefully (starting from the core side, then grabbing each side of the leave).
- Place gołąbki in the heat-resistant dish. They should tightly cling to each other.
- Pour the cabbage water into the heat-resistant dish. It should cover 1/5-2/3 of the dish (not more than half of the dish!).
- Cover the dish with the lid.
- Place gołabki in the oven heated to 356°F (180°C). Cook for 1,5h.
How To Make Tomato Sauce For Vegan Golabki?
- Peel and dice the tomatoes and boil them with a bit of water. When they are soft, add the remaining fried garlic and onion.
- Blend the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add more water if your sauce is too thick.
- Serve your gołąbki warm, with warm sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Tomatoes - Pomidory
- Organic Garlic - Czosnek
- Rapeseed Oil - Olej Rzepakowy
- Buckwheat Groats - Kasza Gryczana
- White Mushrooms (Champignons)
- Yellow Conventional - Cebula
- Cabbage Organic - Kapusta
- Glass heat-resistant oven dish - Naczynie żaroodporne szklane
- Oven heat-resistant dish - Naczynie żaroodporne metalowe
- Basmati Rice - Ryż basmati
- Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you enjoy this Polish vegan golabki recipe? Let us know in the comments below!