Can there be anything more Polish than fried meat, onion, dill pickle, and potatoes in one dish? I don’t think so! This simple Polish side dish recipe was invented by my mom-in-law. She adds it to the soups (for example barszcz czerwony) and main courses. It can be served warm or cold. Once you try it, you will never get enough.
The thing I love about this Polish side dish is that it’s really quick to make and it’s delicious. The strong taste of ogórek kiszony makes it taste truly Polish.
Tips For Making Polish Side Dish
Add Kielbasa Instead Of Bacon.
This Polish side dish will taste great will sausage as well. Make sure to dice it finely.
Serve It As The Side Dish Or Solo.
This Polish side dish tastes great solo or with:
It will also make a great appetizer.
Serve It Warm Or Cold.
It’s totally up to you whether you will serve it warm or cold!
Make A Vegan Version If You Like.
If you don’t add bacon and use plant oil to fry the remaining ingredients, your Polish side dish will be vegan.
Polish Side Dish Recipe
- 4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 9oz / 250g of smoked bacon
- 2 dill pickles (ogorki kiszone)
- Peel and cook the potatoes until soft.
- Dice the bacon and fry.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Add the diced onion to the bacon and fry.
- Dice the cooked potatoes, add them to the remaining ingredients and fry.
- Dice the dill pickles and add them to the rest of ingredients after cooling off.
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish side dish recipe? Let us know in the comments below!