Every housewife has a slightly different Polish sauerkraut soup recipe. There are even some regional variations of this soup- like kwasnica in Podhale.
In this post, I am sharing the Polish sauerkraut soup recipe that my mother-in-law taught me. She is one of the best cooks I know, so I am sure you are going to love this soup!
Tips For Cooking Polish Sauerkraut Soup
Use Smoked Or Raw Ribs.
Smoked ribs are recommended, as the soup will have a better flavor. However, raw pork ribs will work just fine.
Serve It The Next Day.
Polish kapusniak tastes best the following day or later. If you don’t have to, don’t eat it on the same day you cooked it.
If You Like It Sour, Add Sauerkraut Water.
After your Polish kapusniak is ready, taste it. If it’s not sour enough, simply add some sauerkraut water.
Serve It Solo Or With Add-Ons.
Polish Sauerkraut Soup Kapusniak Recipe
- 1½ lbs of smoked pork ribs
- ½ lb of smoked bacon
- 1½ lbs of sauerkraut
- 4 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsley root
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp of dried marjoram
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 allspice berries
- 12 cups of water
- Cover the pork ribs with water. Add bay leaves, allspice berries, and cook slowly for about an hour.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the carrots, potatoes, and parsley root. Set aside.
- Peel and dice the onion. Dice the smoked bacon. Fry it together on the pan until they change the color to golden.
- Squeeze the sauerkraut but don't rinse it. Reserve the sauerkraut water.
- Add the sauerkraut to the bacon and onion. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- After an hour, add diced veggies to the pork ribs and cook.
- When the veggies in the soup are soft, add fried bacon, onion, and sauerkraut.
- Season with dried marjoram and cook for another 15 minutes.
- If you want your kapuśniak to be sourer, add some sauerkraut water.
- You can use raw pork ribs as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 651mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish sauerkraut soup kapusniak recipe? Let us know in the comments below!