If you have a Polish grandma, you’ve probably heard of rice pudding with apples. It’s one of the most famous Polish food for kids (but not only!). Ryż z jabłkami is vegetarian, cheap, and VERY easy to make. Keep on reading to discover my family’s traditional Polish rice pudding recipe.
Tips For Cooking Rice Pudding With Apples
See also my rice pudding with strawberries recipe.
Cook it slowly.
Depending on the type of rice you chose, it may need more or less milk. Cook it slowly to make sure the dish won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
If you notice that the rice has absorbed all the milk and it’s still hard, add more milk and cook for a bit more.
Serve warm or cold.
If you ask me whether I like to eat my Polish rice pudding hot or cold, I wouldn’t be able to answer.
Ryż z jabłami tastes amazing right after cooking but also the following day when you take it out from the fridge.
Eat it as a dessert or lunch meal.
In Poland, rice pudding is eaten both at lunchtime and as a dessert in the late afternoon.
Polish Rice Pudding With Apples Recipe
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 3 big apples
- sugar (optional and not recommended)
- Pour a teaspoon of water to the pot and make sure the entire bottom is wet. Then add milk (it will prevent the milk from burning).
- Add rice and cook slowly until it's soft and there is no milk left.
- In the meantime, peel the apples, chop them into smaller pieces and cook with a bit of water.
- When the apples are soft, mash or blend them. Add sugar if you want to make the dish sweeter.
- Place boiled rice on the plate, add apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- The rice pudding is ready to eat! You can have it either warm or cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 29gProtein: 7g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish rice pudding with apples recipe? Let us know in the comments below!