Rhubarb is one of the few vegetables that you can use to make Polish cake. Even though it’s really sour, with the addition of sugar, it makes a perfect dessert. Keep on reading to get my placek z rabarbarem, Polish rhubarb cake recipe.
Ways Poles Use Rhubarb In The Kitchen
There are 2 ways Polish housewives use rhubarb (rabarbar) in the kitchen.
They either make the cake or kompot, a refreshing drink (follow the link to get my Polish kompot recipe).
The rhubarb season starts in April and ends up in June, so for me, seeing rhubarb in the grocery stores means the summer is just around the corner!
There are many health benefits of eating rhubarb. It’s rich in proanthocyanidins and antioxidants. What does it mean in practice? Eating rhubarb will:
- make your bones stronger
- make your skin looks younger
- lower your cholesterol level
Tips For Making Polish Rhubarb Cake
Coat Rhubarb With Sugar.
It will make the cake taste and look better.
Beat The Egg Whites In The Dry Vessel.
Otherwise, they may not be stiff.
Sprinkle Take Cake With Powdered Sugar If You Want.
The cake will already be sweet enough but if you want, you can make it extra-sweet by adding the powdered sugar on top.
You Will Only Need Rhubarb Stalks.
Rhubarb leaves shouldn’t be added to this Polish rhubarb cake.
If You Want, Put Crumble On Top Instead Of Meringue.
Polish rhubarb cake tastes good with crumble as well!
Polish Rhubarb Cake Recipe
- 3.3 lbs / 1.5 kg of rhubarb
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of butter (230g)
- 5 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C).
- Oil the cake pan or put the parchment paper inside.
- Separate the egg yolks from egg whites.
- Knead the dough (flour + egg yolks+ baking powder + ¾ cup of sugar + butter).
- Place the dough into a prepared cake pan, then put it into the fridge.
- Peel and cut the rhubarb into the small pieces (each should be about 1 cm / ½'' long).
- Coat rhubarb with sugar, then put it onto the dough.
- Beat the egg whites with a bit of salt.
- When the egg whites increased 4 times in volume, start adding the sugar (¾ cup). Beat until stiff.
- Place beaten egg whites onto the rhubarb.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you like this Polish rhubarb cake recipe? Let us know in the comments below!