A traditional cold salad made with potatoes, onions, mayo and pickles, the Salatka Ziemniaczana makes the best use of leftover boiled potatoes. Ready to eat in less than half an hour.
A delicious Polish cold salad, the Salatka Ziemniaczana made with onions, potatoes, and mayo is really delicious; and it can be a staple side at almost every Polish table. It’s very similar to the popular German Kartoffelsalat. In fact, the Silesian potato salad is listed on the ‘List of traditional products by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Polish potato salad is the perfect dish that makes use of leftover boiled potatoes from dinner. It can easily be eaten solo as a light snack or meal. However, it makes a perfect side dish. For example as an add-on to the kotlet schabowy or with fried kielbasa sausages.
How To Make Sałatka Ziemniaczana
Another popular mayo-based salad, the Sałatka Ziemniaczana can be ready really quickly. Potatoes, onions, and a few spices are all you need to make this Polish potato salad.
Cook the peeled potatoes till soft. Then dice the potatoes, pickles, and onions, and chop the chives.
Use the water from the pickles to mix the mayo with yogurt, salt, and pepper. Once that’s done add the rest of the ingredients, mix together, and put in the fridge for 3 hours or more. Serve cold!
What To Serve With Sałatka Ziemniaczana – Polish Potato Salad?
Serve the Polish potato dish with crunchy buttered toast. It also goes well with meaty dishes such as:
- Pork hocks cooked in the Poznan-style
- Meat pastry paszteciki z miesem
- Baked chicken drumsticks and rice
- Fried pork liver
- Polish meatloaf
Tips For Making The Best Sałatka Ziemniaczana
- Add some diced or crumbled farmer’s cheese if you want it healthier!
- This salad is vegetarian, but you can add ham if you want to.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, chives, or spring onion greens.
- Serve with toasted bread or as is!
- You can make the salad a day ahead and refrigerate.
- To make it richer replace the yogurt with sour cream.
- Add a teaspoon of vinegar to make it tangier.
- Best to serve cold!
FAQs About Polish Potato Salad – Sałatka Ziemniaczana Recipe
What Other Salads Are Made With Potatoes?
What Other Ingredients Can I Add To This Salad?
Can We Make This Potato Salad Vegan?
Yes, to make this salad vegan, make these substitutions:
How Long Will The Salatka Ziemniaczana Last?
The salatka ziemniaczna – Polish potato salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Serve cold!
Polish Potato Salad Recipe [Sałatka Ziemniaczana]
- 4 potatoes
- 4 pickles
- 1 onion
- a bunch of chives
- ½ tsp of slat
- ¼ tsp of ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of yogurt
- 2 tbsps of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsps of water from the pickles
- Peel and cook potatoes until soft.
- Dice the pickles.
- Peel and dice an onion.
- Dice the potatoes.
- Chop the chives.
- Mix salt, pepper, mayo, yogurt, and pickles' water.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish potato salad recipe?