A quick and satisfying dinner of tender Polish meatballs made of chicken mince and covered with a creamy sauce and topped with freshly chopped dill! This soup has been my family’s go-to dish on cold nights. The warmth and comfort it brings make any cold winter night cozy and memorable.
Also known as zupa z klopsikami, Polish meatball soup is a staple food item in many Polish homes. A rich and filling soup, it’s perfect for TV night dinners or when you have guests over. Easy to prepare in less than an hour, the klopsiki in a creamy sauce is both tasty and delicious.
I remember eating this chicken meatball soup often as a child and one thing’s for sure, it’s something even kids will love. Try making the chicken klopsiki or chicken meatballs yourself and see!
How To Make Polish Meatball Soup
It’s always best to start with fresh chicken meat. To ensure you have the best chicken fillet, get it from the best meat delivery service in your area.
Mix the chicken mince with egg, salt, and pepper and form into small balls. Coat the meatballs in flour and fry them in oil till they turn brown. For those watching their weight, another option is to omit frying and submerge the meatballs in the boiling broth until tender. It’ll give the same delicious and comforting taste minus the unhealthy oil.
Transfer the meatballs to a large pot and add 12 cups of water. Also, add diced carrots and potatoes and cook till soft.
Mix some flour with cold milk and add this to the pot slowly while stirring continuously. This will thicken the Polish meatball soup.
Allow it to cook for a few more minutes before topping with fresh dill and serving.
Tips For Making The Best Polish Meatball Soup Recipe
- You can use ground turkey instead of chicken if you wish.
- Use wet hands to make the meatballs so that it doesn’t stick. Warm water works best.
- The meatballs should be the size of walnuts.
- Add cream if you want it richer.
- Sprinkle with chopped dill and serve!
- Serve with mashed potatoes or crunchy toasted bread slices!
- You can prepare the meatballs ahead and store them in the freezer so you can have them ready anytime you feel like having a warm bowl of soup.
- Sautee finely chopped white onions for at least three minutes to get a good caramelization to add depth of flavor to your soup before adding the broth.
- You have the option to add parsley and leeks to add more flavor and aroma to the soup.
- Traditionally topping the soup with a dollop of sour cream is needed, alternatively, you can use cream fraiche.
FAQs About Polish Meatball Soup Recipe
Can I Use Any Other Meat To Make This Recipe?
You can use either chicken or turkey meat to make this recipe. If you wish you can also use tender veal meat.
If you want to use dark meat like beef or pork, try this recipe for Polish meatballs with mushrooms gravy instead.
You can substitute any meat of your preference, though for an authentic Polish meatball soup you have to stick with chicken meat.
What Other Polish Recipes Are Made With Meatballs?
Other Polish recipes made with meatballs are:
- Pulpeciki w sosie koperkowym – Meatballs with dill sauce
- Klopsiki w sosie grzybowym – Meatballs with mushroom gravy
What Can You Serve With Polish Meatball Soup?
You can serve Polish meatball soup with:
- Boiled, mashed, or baked potatoes
- Basmati rice
- Kopytka dumplings
- Fried or roasted veggies
- Dill pickle
Can I Freeze The Polish Chicken Meatballs? How Long Can You Store Leftover Polish Meatball Soup?
Yes, you can freeze the Polish chicken meatballs at two different stages.
First, you can freeze them once they’re fried. Just transfer them to an airtight container and freeze.
The other option is to freeze the leftover Polish meatball soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Or you can store the leftover Polish meatball soup in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat before serving.
Polish Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 lb (0.5kg) of ground chicken or turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- a bunch of fresh dill
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of ground black pepper
- 6-7 tbsps of all-purpose flour
- 4-5 tbsps of oil
- 12 cups of water
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Mix the ground chicken with egg, salt, and pepper.
- Using wet hands, form the meat into walnut-sized balls.
- Coat the balls in flour, then fry them briefly in oil until they change the color to brownish.
- Transfer the meatballs to the pot and add 12 cups of water.
- Peel and dice the potatoes and a carrot, then add them to the soup.
- Cook until the veggies are soft.
- Mix cold milk with flour.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the soup, stirring all the time.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with fresh dill.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish meatball soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!