With the fall and winter season just around the corner, I want to share with you my easy Polish horseradish soup recipe.
This warming dish can be served as a perfect starter but also as a proper meal. When you eat it with bacon and hard-boiled eggs, it will keep you full for hours.
The Polish horseradish soup recipe that I am sharing with you today can be also cooked in the vegetarian version. Just skip the bacon and use clarified butter (or any other fat) instead.
Tips For Cooking Polish Horseradish Soup
Use Homemade Or Jarred Horseradish
Depending on your preferences, you can make homemade horseradish paste (recipe here) or use the jarred one.
I prefer the soup to be mild, that’s why I only recommend adding 4 tablespoons in my recipe. If you want to feel the heat of horseradish, add more paste.
Use Leftover Veggies From Rosol If You Have Them
You will need to cook potatoes and fry onion and leek separately but cooked parsley root and celery roots from rosol will work just fine.
Polish Horseradish Soup Recipe
- 5 boiled eggs
- 4 tbsps of grated horseradish
- 2 potatoes
- 2 parsley roots
- 1 small celery
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 7 oz of smoked bacon or clarified butter
- 1 tbsp of dried marjoram
- 2 grains of allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 galloon of water
- If you use bacon, dice it, and fry on the pan.
- Peel and dice all the veggies.
- Fry them on the same pan as bacon. If you don't use bacon, fry the veggies on the clarified butter.
- Throw the veggies into the pot and cover them with water. Add dried marjoram, allspice grains, and a bay leaf.
- Boil until the veggies are soft.
- Remove the allspice grains and a bay leaf.
- Blend the soup until you will get a creamy, smooth consistency.
- Add grated horseradish and cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with boiled eggs and bacon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 580mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish horseradish soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!