Polish herring salad (śledzie pod pierzynką) is one of my all-time favorite salads. I love the combination of mild eggs, potatoes, and mayo with distinctive herring and dill pickles. This layered herring salad doesn’t only taste good but it also looks amazing. It’s all because you are not mixing together the ingredients but place them in layers. Keep on reading to get my Polish herring salad recipe.
It’s very easy to make. The salad is perfect to have for breakfast, supper, or a snack. If you are throwing a Polish party, the herring salad is a great thing to offer your guests. I am sure they will love it!
Tips For Making Polish Herring Salad
See also my Polish herring in oil recipe.
Let It Rest For At Least 2 Hours After Making.
The Polish herring salad tastes best after a few hours when all the ingredients will absorb each others’ flavors.
Serve It Cold.
Polish herring salad can only be served cold, otherwise, it won’t taste that good.
Put It In The Glass Bowl.
The salad is layered, that’s why it should be placed in the glass bowl so that all the layers will be visible.
You can either divide it into portions right away (make mini-salads in the small bowls) or let the guests put how much they want on the plate.
Remember that once you start sharing the salad, the layers will be affected, so the Polish herring salad won’t look that good anymore.
You Can Add Cooked Beets As Another Layer.
If you want your Polish herring salad to be more colorful, add 2 cooked diced beetroots as another layer.
Alternatively, add 2 cooked carrots as well.
Polish Herring Salad Recipe
- ½ lb of salted herring fillets
- 2 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 fermented pickles (ogorki kiszone)
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 2 tbsps of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- salt, pepper
- Hard-boil the eggs, then peel them.
- Peel the potatoes, boil them and then dice into small cubes.
- Dice the herring fillets and rinse several times. The point is to desalt the herrings.
- Place the diced herrings in the glass bowl.
- Dice the onion into small cubes. Put it onto the herrings, and then sprinkle it with vinegar.
- Place the diced potatoes onto the onion.
- Dice the fermented cucumbers and place them onto the potatoes.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream/ Greek yogurt with mustard, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce onto the fermented cucumbers.
- Dice the eggs and place them onto the sauce. You can also separate egg yolks from egg whites to make the salad look better.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 329mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish herring salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!