If you are looking for a traditional Polish herring recipe, you are in the right place. This Polish herring in oil is not only delicious but also very simple to make. It will take just 10 minutes to have it done.
The taste is very distinct and intense, so it’s the food Poles love.
Tips For Making Polish Herring In Oil
See also my layered herring salad recipe.
Make An Onion Crispy.
Onion is the most important part of the Polish herring in oil. It needs to be crispy but not raw. Follow the recipe, step by step, and you will do it right.
Rinse The Herring Several Times.
You can also cover it with water and leave it overnight in the fridge, then rinse.
Polish Herring In Oil Tastes Best After A Few Days.
The dish is best after 3-4 days, however, you can have it the next day after preparing.
Polish Herring In Oil Recipe
- 1 lb of salted herring fillets
- 1 large onion
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- ¼ cup of oil
- 1 cup of water
- a pinch of sugar / a few drops of honey
- (optionally) black pepper powder
- Dice the herring fillets and rinse several times. The point is to desalt the herrings.
- Peel and cut an onion into thin rings.
- Bring the water with vinegar to boil.
- Carefully throw the onion in the boiling water. Keep it there for about 2 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Add the onion to the herring and mix.
- Add some pepper, a pinch of sugar, or a few drops of honey.
- Add oil and mix.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge overnight.
- Optionally, you can add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, diced pickles/ pickled mushrooms / pickled peppers.
- If you want to make the dish sweeter, add cranberries and dried tomatoes with oil (instead of ¼ cup of oil that you can see in the recipe).
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish herring in oil recipe? Let us know in the comments below!