Polish fish soup recipe is the most frequently used during Christmastime. This fasting dish is not only delicious but also quite easy to make.
The key to cook the perfect Polish fish soup, zupa rybna (suh-pah rhyph-nah) is to use quality fish and add plenty of veggies.
Tips For Cooking Polish Fish Soup
Cook It As Broth.
If you ever cooked rosół, you will see that making Polish fish soup is pretty similar. You are just using fish instead of chicken and cook veggies in a slightly different way. The spices also vary, but other than that, you will notice nothing but similarities.
Use The Whole Fish.
When cooking a fish broth, you need to use the whole fish, with heads, skins, etc. It will make the soup aromatic.
Serve It Solo Or With Add-Ons.
The most popular add-ons for Polish fish soup are:
Authentic Polish Fish Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs of whole fish (with heads)
- 6 onions
- 1 leek (the white part)
- 1 small celery root
- 1 parsley root
- 3 average carrots
- 1 tbsp of grated horseradish
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 allspice berries
- 1 tbsp of salt
- ½ tsp of pepper
- 12 cups of water
- Wash the fish and cover them with water.
- Add bay leaves, allspice berries, salt, pepper, and bring to boil.
- In the meantime, peel and cut onions into the half-moons. Sweat them on the oil.
- When the onions are sweated, add them to the soup and bring to boil again.
- Take out the fish from the soup.
- Peel the carrots, parsley root, and celery root. Grate them.
- Cut the leek into the rings.
- Sweat all the veggies on oil, then add them to the soup.
- Add horseradish and lemon juice. Mix.
- Remove skins and bones from the fish.
- Cut the fish meat into big chunks and add them to the soup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 984mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish fish soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!