Also called Groszek z Marchewką, the Polish creamed peas and carrots salad may be called a simpler version of the salatka jarzynowa. Easy to digest, this creamy salad is especially popular with Polish kids!
Carrots and peas are colorful enough for kids to love and eat without a fuss. It’s an easy way to get veggies into their diet. But this light, creamy, easy-to-digest Groszek z Marchewką is popular among adults too!
How Is The Polish Carrot And Peas Salad Prepared?
See also my Polish carrot salad recipe.
Quite simple to make, all it requires is to cook peas and carrots and fry them in a roux made from butter and flour. They’re then seasoned with salt and pepper before being served warm!
Perfect for a side dish when you’re in a hurry, the Polish creamed peas and carrots salad tastes best with dinner meat, for example the kotlety mielone.
Whether you call it Groszek z Marchewką or Marchewka Z Groszkiem, this is definitely one of the top Polish side dishes!
What Can I Serve The Polish Creamed Peas And Carrots Salad With?
This Polish creamed peas and carrots salad goes well with any of the following dishes:
- Kotlety mielone
- Chicken Chops
- Kotlety schabowe
- Kluski Slaskie
- Boiled or Mashed Potatoes
- Golonka W Piwie or Golonka po poznańsku
Tips For Making Groszek Z Marchewką – Polish Creamed Peas and Carrots Salad
- This buttery carrot and pea salad is the perfect side dish for kotlety mielone or kotlet schabowy.
- You can add about a quarter teaspoon of garlic powder for more flavor.
- It’s best to sift the flour into the pan so that it doesn’t form lumps.
- Use sweet carrots for this recipe.
- If you don’t find sweet carrots, you can add a spoon of sugar to the butter and flour while cooking.
- If you want more sauce, double the quantity of butter and flour.
- You can use either cooked or canned peas.
- Want to add more ingredients to your salad? Try this salatka jarzynowa recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions About Polish Creamed Peas and Carrots Salad
Can I Use Frozen Peas or Carrots?
Yes, it’s okay to use frozen peas or carrots.
Is It Possible To Make The Groszek z Marchewką Vegan?
Yes, you can make the Groszek z Marchewką vegan by replacing the butter with cashew nut butter or almond butter.
Is It Possible To Make The Groszek z Marchewką Gluten-Free?
To make the Polish peas and carrots salad gluten-free, replace the flour with potato starch or cornflour. The taste will change a bit, but it will still be tasty.
Can I Make This Dish Creamier?
The carrots and peas salad is already creamy. But if you want to make it more creamy, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream or sour cream while cooking. If you’re vegan, add cashew nut cream or almond cream.
How Long Will The Groszek z Marchewką Last?
The Groszek z Marchewką will last for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. It’s best not to store it for longer.
Polish Creamed Peas and Carrots Salad Recipe
- 1 ½ cups of cooked or canned peas
- 2 cups of finely diced cooked carrot
- ¼ cup of butter
- 2 tbsps of flour
- salt, pepper
- Cook the green peas and carrot.
- Melt down the butter on a pan, then add flour. Mix and fry slowly for another 1 minute.
- Mix the butter with peas and carrot.
- Season with salt and pepper serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish creamed peas and carrots salad recipe? Let us know in the comments below!