Rurki z kremen are sweet Polish cream horns that are perfect as a snack or dessert. Make your own rurki with this traditional Polish recipe!
What Are Rurki Z Kremem?
Rurki z kremen are the Polish version of cream horns made by laminating pastry dough on a roll shape. Open at both ends, the pastry is filled with a heavy cream filling or with custard. The dough can be made of flaky or puff pastry.
Cream horns are also called torpedo desserts because of their conical shapes.
There are many theories about who invented cream horns. Most say it was invented in Vienna in the Austrian-Hungarian empire in the 16th century.
The other theory is that the Schillerlocken or cream horns were named after the blond curls of German poet Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller.
Another theory states that Queen Catherine de Medici of France thought up this delicious dessert.
But no matter who invented these crispy rolls filled with creamy custard, it’s really delicious. The kids love it, and so do the adults!
What Are Rurki Z Kremem Called In Other Countries?
In other countries the Polish cream horns have a variety of names:
- Kornedákia in Greece
- Funiiki s krem in Bulgaria
- Rulouri in Romania
- Hořické trubičky in Czechia
- Külah tatlısı or Torpil tatlısı in Turkey
- Трубочки с кремом in Russia
The Austrian Schaumrollen or Schillerlocken and the Cannoli in Italy are similar but not horn-shaped. They’re equal in size at both ends and look like open pipes filled with cream.
How To Make Polish Cream Horns Rurki Z Kremem
Step I – Prepare The Dough
Polish cream horns don’t need much time to prepare. Simply knead all the ingredients for the dough together. Wrap it in saran wrap or cling film and chill for an hour. Preferably overnight.
Step II – Shape The Rurki Or Horns
Preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
While the oven is heating, roll out the dough and cut into ½” (1-1½ cm) strips.
Apply oil on the cream molds. These are the horns we use. Start at the narrow end and wrap each mold with a strip of dough. See how to do it in this video.Line a baking tray with parchment and place the horns on it. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar before baking.
Step III – Make The Filling For the Rurki Z Kremen And Fill The Horns
Prepare a custard filling or a heavy cream filling. Or you can prepare both, and use custard for half the horns and cream for the others. And finally, use a big syringe to stuff the cold horns with cream.
Tips For Making The Best Polish Rurki Z Kremem
- Use either custard filling or heavy cream filling.
- If you’re in a hurry, buy the readymade raspberry cream filling or lemon cream filling.
- You can also add a layer of jam to the top of the cream horns to close them. Or add a teaspoon of jam in every horn before adding the custard.
- You can use mascarpone cream instead of heavy cream.
- You can add chopped candied peel or chopped raspberries to the cream filling.
- It’s best to make lots of rurki shells and freeze them for lazy days.
FAQs About Polish Cream Horns – Rurki Z Kremem
Can You Deep Fry Rurki Z Kremen?
These Polish cream horns taste best when they are baked! You may deep-fry them if you wish, but make sure the end is sealed tight so that they don’t fall apart while frying.
Do I Have To Sprinkle The Horns With Sugar?
No, you can leave the cream horns as is. Or if wish, you can cover them with a sugar glaze or chocolate glaze after they have baked.
Where Can I Get Traditional Polish Rurki Z Kremen?
You can buy some really tasty rurki z kremen at Rurki z Wiatraka in Warsaw. This bakery has been serving rurki since 1958.
How Long Can Rurki Z Kremen Be Stored?
If you have not yet filled the rurki z kremen, you can freeze them for 3 to 4 months. Reheat in the oven or microwave. Prepare the custard or cream filling and fill the horns on the day you want to serve them.
If you have already filled the Polish cream horns, they can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days only.
Polish Cream Horns Rurki Z Kremem Recipe
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsps of sour cream
- 1 stick (110g) of butter
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- 4 tbsps of sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsps of potato starch
Heavy cream filling
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 4 tbsps of icing sugar
How To Make The Horns?
- Knead the dough using all ingredients.
- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour (ideally overnight).
- After an hour or so, preheat the oven to 392°F (200°C).
- Roll out the dough on the floured pastry board.
- Cut the dough into ½'' (1-1½cm) strips.
- Oil the molds.
- Wrap each mold with a strip of dough, starting with a narrow end. Leave a bit of free space at the beginning and at the end of the mold.
- Place the horns on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the horns with whisked egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
How To Make The Custard Filling?
- Pour one cup of milk into the pot.
- Add egg yolks, sweetener, and whip it together until you will get a smooth, yellow color.
- Pour half cup of milk into the small bowl.
- Add flour, potato flour, and mix until dissolved.
- Place a pot on the stove, cook slowly, stirring all the time.
- When it nearly boils, add milk with flour and you will get the consistency of pudding.
How To Make The Heavy Cream Filling?
- Whip the heavy cream with icing sugar.
How To Assemble Rurki Z Kremem?
- Using a syringe or confectionery sleeve stuff cold horns with cream.
- Use the cream of your choice (heavy cream or custard).
- You can freeze plain horns (without any cream).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Confectionery sleeve - Rękaw cukierniczy
- Potato Starch (Flour) - Mąka (skrobia) ziemniaczana
- Eggs Organic Cage-Free
- Powdered Sugar - Cukier puder
- Sugar - Cukier
- Milk - Mleko
- Butter Unsalted - Masło
- Heavy Cream - Śmietana kremówka
- Sour Cream - Śmietana
- All Purpose Flour
- Cream Horn Molds - Forma do rurek
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish cream horns rurki z kremem recipe? Let us know in the comments below!