This Polish kapusta soup made with kielbasa and fresh cabbage is called zupa z kapusty i kiełbasy. Depending on the cabbage used, it can be ready in an hour or a few hours. Healthy and flavorful, it’s the perfect Polish meal!
All About Polish Sausage And Cabbage Soup
In Polish, cabbage is called kapusta, sauerkraut is kapusta kiszona, and sausage is called kielbasa. So the Polish cabbage soup with kielbasa is called zupa z kapusty i kiełbasy.
The fresh cabbage used in the kapusta soup recipe gives it a naturally sweet taste that kids love too!
Although the soup calls for the use of fresh cabbage, you’ll often find a lot of Poles using sauerkraut when cabbage is not in season. But when it is in season, using fresh cabbage is the best choice!
How To Make Polish Cabbage Soup Recipe
Polish sausage cabbage soup is easy to make at home!
Cook diced potatoes in the broth. Next, chop the fresh cabbage finely and add it to the broth to cook till soft.
Tips For The Best Polish Kapusta Soup Recipe – Kapusta Soup Recipe
- This traditional Polish soup is gluten-free!
- You can add marjoram or paprika if you wish.
- Young cabbage that’s green in color will cook quickly. If you’re using older fresh cabbage that’s white in color, it will take longer to cook, sometimes even a few hours. Adjust the time on the stove accordingly.
- Add a few tablespoons of potato starch to the broth if you want a thicker soup.
- Serve the Polish cabbage soup with kielbasa that’s diced and fried.
- Add a spoon of pork lard for more flavor!
- This soup is good on its own or with toasted bread.
FAQs About Polish Cabbage Soup Recipe
What Other Veggies Can I Add To The Polish Kielbasa And Cabbage Soup?
If you like, you can add diced carrots, green peas, parsley root, celeriac, or other root veggies to the polish cabbage soup recipe.
Which Sausages Should I Add To The Polish Sausage And Cabbage Soup?
What Other Nationalities Make Cabbage Soup?
- soupe aux choux in France
- kaalikeitto in Finland
- kapusniak in Ukraine
- krautsuppe or kohlsuppe in Germany
- skābu kāpostu zupa in Latvia
- zelňačka or zelná polévka in Czechia
- kapustnica in Slovenia
- shchi in Russia
- kålsoppa in Sweden
How Long Can I Store The Polish Kapusta Soup?
Store the kapusta soup in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Reheat before serving!
Polish Fresh Cabbage Soup Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 968mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix