The Polish Beef Stroganoff is made with juicy beef, earthy mushrooms, and surprising dill pickles. You might just love it more than the Russian Beef Stroganoff!
What is Stroganoff?
Beef Stroganoff is a dish made by cooking beef and adding a creamy sauce called a roux.
This roux was made using butter and flour to which mustard or tomato paste and spices are added. Finally, sour cream, salt, and pepper were added to the dish to give it that creamy texture. The beef stroganoff was served with bread.
Why Is It Called Stroganoff?
This dish was first created in the middle of the 19th-century by a French chef working for the Stroganovs, a family of rich statesmen, landowners, and industrialists in Russia. Naming it after his employer Count Stroganoff, the dish was called Stroganov or Stroganoff.
What’s The Difference Between The Polish Beef Stroganoff Recipe And Russian Beef Stroganoff?
The traditional Russian Stroganoff uses a sauce made with flour, butter, sour cream, and onions. Some versions of this Stroganov may include tomato puree or mustard paste, while others include brandy too!
As opposed to this, the Polish beef Stroganoff uses sour cream and tomato sauces and also adds dill pickles to the dish! The quantity of flour used in the Polish version is also a lot lesser.
Traditionally, stroganoff is cooked with beef. However, it’s quite popular in Poland to make it with chicken breast since it’s cheaper and easier to get. The Polish version also required the soup to be spicy.
Tips For The Best Polish Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Turn the meat over on both sides while frying.
- Add beef broth to the recipe for more flavor. But if you don’t have broth, water is fine too!
- If you don’t have sour cream, use twice as much regular cream.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
- Serve with a side of dill pickles or mashed potatoes.
- Use bowls or deep-dish plates to serve stroganoff.
- Polish Beef Stroganoff can be served with rice, pasta, or noodles, but tastes best with bread!
Frequently Asked Questions About Polish Beef Stroganoff Recipe
What is the difference between goulash and stroganoff?
Goulash is a stew made with pork meat, flour, and spices. Stroganoff is a traditional beef (sometimes chicken) dish that fries the meat before cooking it with mushrooms, onions, sour cream, and spices.
Can I Use Any Cut Of Beef?
You could use any part of beef, but it’s better to use sirloin or striploin steak.
Do I Have To Use Fresh Or Dried Mushrooms?
It’s best to use fresh mushrooms for this recipe. However, if you want to use dried mushrooms, soak them in water overnight.
Do I Have To Use Beef To Make Stroganoff?
No, you can use any other meat to make beef stroganoff. Poles often used chicken or turkey. Other international variations of stroganoff are made using beef, chicken, pork, or turkey.
Is It Possible To Make The Polish Beef Stroganoff Gluten-Free?
To make this Polish Beef Stroganov recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free flour instead of regular flour and serve it with gluten-free bread or rice.
Polish Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb / ½ kg of beef (sirloin or striploin); optionally you may use chicken or turkey breast
- ½ lb / 250g of mushrooms (champignons)
- 4 pcs of ogorek kiszony (dill pickle)
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsps of oil
- ½ cup (125ml) of sour cream
- ½ tbsp of sweet pepper powder
- 2 tbsps of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of flour
- fresh parsley
- salt, pepper, chilli
- 1-2 cups water or broth
- Cut the meat into stripes/cubes, then coat them with flour.
- Peel and dice an onion, then fry it in oil.
- Fry the meat on oil until soft.
- Dice the champignons and fry them on oil separately.
- Dice or cut dill pickles in half-moons.
- Put all the ingredients in the pot along with the water or broth, tomato puree, sour cream, salt, pepper, paprika powder, and cook for a while.
- Serve hot solo or with chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Baltic Rye Bread - Chleb żytni
- Wheat Bread 3 ingredients - Chleb pszenny
- Stainless Pot - Garnek średni
- Nonstick Skillet Frying Pan - Patelnia
- Beef Sirloin Steak - Stek wołowy
- Chicken Breast - Pierś z kurczaka
- White Mushrooms (Champignons)
- Ogórki Kiszo6ne - Dill Pickles
- Yellow Conventional - Cebula
- Sour Cream - Śmietana
- Rapeseed Oil - Olej Rzepakowy
- Paprika - Papryka słodka
- Tomato Concentrate (Paste) - Przecier pomidorowy
- Parsley - Natka Pietruszki
- All Purpose Flour
- Chili Seasoning Mix - Przyprawa chilli
- Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish beef stroganoff recipe? Let us know in the comments below!