Krupnik, Polish barley soup is considered as a light, easy-to-digest food. That’s why it’s usually served for kids, people after surgeries, or new moms. Of course, it’s also cooked at Polish homes and eaten for lunch or dinner. Keep on reading to get my Polish krupnik soup recipe.
About Krupnik Soup
The name of Polish barley soup comes from the word krupy. In the past, it was used to describe coarse groats.
What’s interesting, “Krupa” is a popular Polish surname. If you are into fashion, maybe you know a Polish-American model called Joanna Krupa. She is famous both in Poland and the US.
Anyway, let’s come back to the krupnik soup.
Tips For Making Polish Barley Soup
Make It Vegetarian Or Not.
Traditionally, Polish barley soup should be cooked on meat (chicken, turkey, or even pork). My Polish krupnik recipe is not suitable for vegetarians, however, you can easily make it meat-free.
Simply cook the potatoes and barley with water. The grated carrot and parsley root should be fry in butter/ vegetable oil first.
Serve It With Fresh Parsley.
Polish krupnik soup tastes best with fresh, chopped parsley. Add it right before serving.
Serve It Solo Or With Bread.
For me, Polish krupnik soup tastes best with a slice of fresh, crispy bread spread with butter. Yummy!
- 12 cups of water (3 litres)
- 2 chicken thighs/ 4 chicken wings
- 1 big carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 4 potatoes
- 6 tbsps of barley or pearl barley
- 1 tbsp of salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 allspice berries
- 1 tbsp of dried marjoram
- Cover the chicken thighs/ wings with water, add spices, and cook slowly (the soup CANNOT start boiling otherwise it will lose its taste).
- In the meantime, peel the vegetables.
- Dice the potatoes and grate the carrot and parsley root.
- If you notice the white/dark foam on the soup, collect it with a tablespoon and throw it away. It's called szumy and it's completely normal that you have it in your soup.
- When there will be no more szumy, add barley and diced potatoes. Cook until soft.
- Add grated carrot and parsley root.
- When the soup is ready, take out the chicken thighs/ wings.
- Remove the skin and bones then cut the meat into smaller pieces.
- Add the meat to the soup. Serve hot with chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Thigh - Udko z kurczaka
Chicken Whole Wings - Skrzydelka z kurczaka
Pearl Barley - Kasza jęczmienna
Carrot Organic - Marchewka
Parsley Root Cut & Sifted - Pietruszka Korzeń
Root Parsnips Organic - Pasternak
Potatoes - Ziemniaki
Dried Marjoram - Majeranek
Bay Leaf - Liść Laurowy
Allspice Whole - Ziele Angielskie
Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
Iodized Table Salt - Sól
Stainless Pot - Garnek średni
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish barley krupnik soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!