Polish layered salad with ham is easy to make at home and can be the perfect snack. Loaded with veggies, ham, and cheese, it’s tasty and filling!
Layered salads or Sałatka Warstwowa are famous all over Poland. From salads made with only vegetables to salads made with fish, meat, or eggs.
One popular version that we make often is the layered salad with ham. Easy to make in just 15 minutes, it’s perfect for a quick snack, or even a picnic lunch or potluck!
This salad with ham is sometimes also called sałatka warstwowa z szynką or warstwowa salatka z szynka i porem.
How To Make Layered Salad With Ham -Sałatka Warstwowa z Szynką
See also my Polish gyros salad recipe.
It takes less than 15 minutes to make the layered salad.
Start by dicing the ham, tomatoes, cucumber, and cabbage and cutting the leek into half-moon slices. The cheese can be diced or grated.
In a decorative glass bowl, add individual layers of the salad, preferable in this order:
- ketchup, salt, pepper
Serve cold or at room temperature!
Tips For Making Layered Salad With Ham
- You can switch out any of the ingredients that you like.
- Other ingredients that you can use are boiled eggs or mushrooms.
- If you don’t like ham, use fried bacon or herring bits.
- Add more salt and pepper as per your taste!
- Add a bit of paprika powder to make it spicy!
- You can replace the leeks with red onions if you want a pungent taste.
- You can increase the amount of mayonnaise if you want the salad richer!
- Sprinkle with chopped chives or parsley for decoration!
FAQs About Making Polish Layered Salad
What Other Variations Of Polish Layered Salads Can I Make?
When made with herrying instead of ham, the layered salad is called Śledź pod Szubą or herring under a quilt.
If you add a layer of noodles or macaroni to the layered salad with ham, it’s called sałatka warstwowa z szynką i makaronem.
If you make a layered salad with chicken, it’s called złocieniecka sałatka warstwowa.
If you make the layered salad with chicken and feta cheese, it’s called warstwowa sałatka z kurczakiem i fetą. You can always replace the feta cheese with homemade farmer’s cheese.
What Can I Use Instead Of Ham?
You can replace the ham with fried bacon, chopped salami or pieces of roasted pork.
What Other Ingredients Can I Add To The Polish Layered Salad?
You can add any of these ingredients to the layered salad:
- broad beans
- noodles or macaroni
- dill pickles
- hard-boiled eggs
How To Store The Polish Layered Salad?
Store the layered ham salad in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Serve cold. Do not freeze.
Layered Salad With Ham
- 7 oz (200g) of ham
- ½ of small napa Chinese cabbage
- 1 leek
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 7 oz (200g) of cheese
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbsps of ketchup
- 2 tbsps of mayonnaise
- Dice the ham.
- Wash and dice the cabbage.
- Cut the leek into half-moon slices.
- Wash and dice tomatoes and a cucumber.
- Dice or grate the cheese.
- In a glass salad bowl, layer the salad in the following order:
- ketchup, salt, pepper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1448mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this layered salad with ham recipe? Let us know in the comments below!