Zupa jarzynowa (also known as jarzynówka) is one of the most popular soups in Poland. Super easy to make, healthy, and delicious, it’s eaten in the country all year round. In this post, I am sharing with you my Polish vegetable soup recipe.
This is one of the vegetarian Polish dishes. If you add vegan sour cream, zupa jarzynowa is completely vegan. Every housewife has a slightly different Polish vegetable soup recipe. In fact, one person can cook a different version of this soup every time. Why?
Because there are some basic veggies that you need to add to jarzynówka like potato, carrot, celery, and parsley roots. All the others may vary. My mom always adds the cauliflower, I like adding the cabbage. Plus the seasonal veggies or simply these I currently have in the fridge.
I usually don’t use meat while cooking Polish vegetable soup. However, you can make rosół (chicken broth) a base of this dish.
What Can Go Wrong When Cooking Polish Vegetable Soup?
This dish is really difficult to spoil, however, here are the most common mistakes when cooking zupa jarzynowa.
Adding Too Many Carrots/ Onions
Carrot and onion make the soup sweet. Zupa jarzynowa should be mild and savory, so don’t add to many sweet veggies like the carrot.
What to do when the soup is already cooked and it’s sweet? The best is to pour in some gherkin juice (the water from ogórki kiszone). Alternatively, add more mustard or lemon juice.
Not Adding Any Fat
This Polish vegetable soup recipe doesn’t include any meat, that’s why it’s really important to add some fat like the clarified butter or olive oil. Without it, the soup may be tasteless.
Adding Cold Sour Cream Straight To The Hot Soup
When you add cold sour cream to the hot soup, it can curdle. It’s very important to mix it first with a bit of the hot soup and then pour this mixture to the pot.
Zupa Jarzynowa Polish Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 potatoes
- 1 celery root
- 1 parsley root
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ANY other veggies you wish (cauliflower, broccoli, peas, pepper, kohlrabi, cabbage, etc.)
- 2 tbsps of the clarified butter or olive oil
- 3-4 tbsps of sour cream
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbsps of mustard (optional)
- Peel and dice all the veggies. Alternatively, you can grate them.
- Melt the butter in the big pot (medium heat), add the garlic cloves and onion.
- Fry for about 3 minutes. Add all the other veggies and fry for another few minutes.
- Cover the veggies with water (you will need about 3 cups).
- Cook until all the veggies are soft.
- Mix the sour cream with mustard and then mix it with 1 cup of the hot soup.
- Slowly pour the sour cream mixture into the hot soup, stirring all the time.
- Season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too sweet for you, you can add some gherkin juice (water from ogorki kiszone).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Sour Cream - Śmietana
- Mustard - Musztarda
- Ground Black Pepper - Pieprz czarny
- Iodized Table Salt - Sól
- Clarified Butter - Masło klarowane
- Cabbage Organic - Kapusta
- Green Pea Frozen - Groszek mrożony
- Broccoli - Brokół
- Cauliflower - Kalafior
- Organic Garlic - Czosnek
- Yellow Conventional - Cebula
- Celery Root Organic - Seler Korzeń
- Parsley Root Cut & Sifted - Pietruszka Korzeń
- Carrot Organic - Marchewka
- Potatoes - Ziemniaki
- Stainless Pot - Garnek średni
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish vegetable soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!