It’s hard for me to imagine summer without using Polish blueberry buns recipe at least once! They are delicious and very easy to make.
It takes some time for the dough to grow, however, it’s definitely worth the time.
Polish blueberry buns taste best with milk. You can have them for breakfast, dessert, or simply take them on a trip and eat as a snack.
Tips For Making And Baking Polish Blueberry Buns
Coat blueberries with potato starch if you want the filling to have a jelly-like consistency.
It’s not necessary, however, some Polish housewives do it to make the filling more solid.
Use any kind of blueberries.
Depending on the country you live in, you may have different kinds of blueberries available (American blueberries, European blueberries, wild blueberries, etc.).
Be sure to taste them first, if they are very sweet, you may add less sugar. If they are sour, add more sugar.
Store them in the room temperature or fridge.
Be sure to keep them in an airtight container (like the bread), otherwise, they will quickly dry up.
You can use frozen berries.
Be sure to defrost them first and pour out all the water.
Blueberries need to be dry before wrapping the dough around them.
Polish Blueberry Buns Recipe
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of instant yeast (or 1.8oz of fresh yeast)
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup of butter (5 tbsps)
- 4 tbsps of sugar
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 4 tbsps of boiling hot water
How To Prepare The Fruits For Polish Blueberry Buns?
- Simply wash and dry them.
- Alternatively, you can coat the blueberries with potato starch to make the filling more jelly-like.
How To Make Dough For Polish Blueberry Buns?
- Mix the warm milk with yeast, 1 tbsp of flour and 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Cover the mixture with a cloth and leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter and mix it with all the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- After 15 minutes, add the yeast mixture and mix everything together.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and wait for another 45 minutes. The dough should grow, ideally double its size.
- When the dough is ready, place it on the flat surface covered with a thin layer of flour.
- Knead the dough for a while and form a long string out of it.
- Divide the dough into 10-15 parts.
How To Make Polish Blueberry Buns?
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 356°F.
- Place the baking paper on the pan(s).
- Take each part of the dough, form the ball, then flatten it and place blueberries (1-2 tbsps) inside. Wrap them with the dough and form the bun.
- Place each bun on the pan covered with the baking paper.
- Optionally, smear each bun with a bit of milk or beaten egg.
How To Make A Topping For Polish Blueberry Buns?
- You can either cover the blueberry buns with the crumble (recipe here). The crumbles should be baked with the buns!
- Alternatively, make a frosting after the buns are baked and ready. Mix the powdered sugar with hot water and pour each bun with a frosting.
- The simplest topping for Polish blueberry buns is simply the powdered sugar.
How Long Should I Bake Polish Blueberry Buns?
- When all the buns are formed, wait for another 10 minutes before placing them in the oven.
- Next, bake them for about 20 minutes. Don't worry if the blueberry buns are breaking in the oven- it's normal and it won't change the taste of the buns.
Pin For Later:
Did you enjoy this Polish blueberry buns recipe? Let us know in the comments below!