While sauerkraut pierogi recipe is definitely more popular than a fresh cabbage pierogi recipe, both versions are worth trying! The quality cabbage is usually seasonal, that’s why I recommend to use it only in the summertime.
In this post, I am giving you the traditional recipe for pierogi with cabbage.
Check out also my other dumplings recipe:
- pierogi ruskie recipe (with mashed potatoes and cottage cheese)
- pierogi z mięsem recipe (with meat)
- pierogi z truskawkami (with strawberries)
- pierogi ze szpinakiem (with spinach)
- pierogi z jagodami (with blueberries)
- pierogi z czereśniami (with cherries)
- pierogi z serem (with sweet cheese)
- pierogi with poppy seed (pierogi z makiem)
- pumpkin pierogi
What To Serve Pierogi With Cabbage With?
Cabbage pierogi taste really good with fried onion (fry it on butter or oil).
You need to add some fat to cabbage pierogi, otherwise, they will be sticky and too dry.
Maggi seasoning sauce
It will make the dish a bit saltier.
It’s basically what’s left from making homemade lard.
Fresh Cabbage Pierogi Recipe
Fresh Cabbage Pierogi Recipe
While sauerkraut pierogi recipe is definitely more popular than a fresh cabbage pierogi recipe, both versions are worth trying! The quality cabbage is usually seasonal, that's why I recommend to use it only in the summertime.
Dough for cabbage pierogi
- 5 cups (600g) of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cups of warm water
- 2 pinches of salt
- 4-5 tablespoons of oil
- 1 big cabbage
- 1 big onion
- oil, salt, pepper
- Put flour, egg, oil, and salt into the bowl. Whisk it together with hand or dough hook attachment.
- Start adding the water slowly, letting it incorporate before adding more.
- Whisk until all the ingredients are incorporated and there are no lumps.
How To Make Dough For Pierogi With Sauerkraut?
How To Make Cabbage Filling?
- Wash, and finely chop the cabbage (be sure to throw away the core).
- Add a bit of water and cook the cabbage until soft.
- When the cabbage is soft, drain it off.
- Finely chop the onions and fry it with a bit of oil until it's caramelized and soft.
- Mix the cooked cabbage and onions together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
How To Mold Cabbage Pierogi?
- Divide the dough into the 2 or 3 pieces.
- Thinly roll each piece out onto a floured surface to just under 1/16 - 1/8” thickness.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut the circles from the dough.
- Put the cabbage filling in the center of each circle. The more filling, the better, however, you need to be sure it stays inside pierogi. When the filling will get between the dough when sealing, pierogi may fall apart during the cooking.
- Pull the edges of each circle together to form pierogi. Make sure the seal is continuous and intact. You can't leave any free space, as pierogi will fall apart during the cooking. Pinch tightly.
- Collect the remaining dough scraps and put them to the other 2 dough pieces. Repeat the process until the entire dough and all the filling is used.
How To Cook Pierogi With Cabbage?
- Pour the water into the big pot. Add 2 pinches of salt. Boil.
- Gently throw pierogi, one by one into the boiling water.
- When they start floating, wait for a minute and take them out with the slotted spoon.
- Pour the melted butter or lard on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this Polish pierogi with cabbage recipe? Let us know in the comments below!
I have to try making it, I have made Paczkis for years. My mom was 100% Polish.