When you talk to Polish friends about cucumber soup, everyone will think of soup made with dill pickles. Although it’s called “zupa ogorkowa” (cucumber soup), the soup doesn’t use fresh cucumbers but pickled ones. And that soup is popular throughout Poland!
But there is another creamy cucumber soup that has also been around for generations. We Poles make this soup using fresh cucumbers, chicken broth, and club cheese. It’s called zupa ze świeżych ogórków, not zupa ogórkówa!
How To Make Polish Creamy Cucumber Soup?
It’s really easy to make this Polish cucumber soup. Cook chopped cucumbers in a broth for some time. Then blend it till it’s really creamy.
Next, add beer cheese or club cheese, horse radish, and dill to the cucumber soup, and cook for a bit more till the cheese has melted completely. Add more cream if you want it thicker, season with salt and pepper, and serve!
Perfect for the hot summer weather, the zupa z ogórków tastes good cold and hot!
Important Tips For Making Creamy Cucumber Soup
- If you want to try something similar, make authentic Polish zupa ogorkowa
- You can make the broth ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. We use this rosol recipe for the broth!
- If you want a thinner soup, add more water or broth.
- Add a cup of heavy cream to make the soup creamier!
- This soup is gluten-free and vegetarian.
- You can serve this soup with croutons or vegetable chips!
- Garnish with freshly chopped dill.
- If you can’t find dill, top with chopped mint.
FAQs About Making Polish Creamy Cucumber Soup
What Is Beer Cheese?
Beer cheese is a popular cheese spread that originated in Clark County, Kentucky, USA. It’s very similar to a club cheese and is made by mixing cheddar cheese with other processed cheese and beer to form a spreadable cheese. Different flavors are added to beer cheese depending on the brand and location.
Does Beer Cheese Contain Alcohol?
Yes, beer cheese contains a cup of beer in every bowl of dip. This quantity is truly very small and will not have any effects.
If you’re worried about exposing your children to alcohol, remember that even fresh fruits such as bananas and pears or drinks such as apple juice, orange juice, or grape juice contain a certain amount of alcohol in them. The quantity of alcohol in beer cheese is much lower than this.
Can I Make This Soup Without A Blender?
It’s best to use a hand blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. However, if you don’t have a hand blender, you can puree the soup in a mixer-grinder. If you don’t have that either, use a potato masher and puree the soup as much as you possibly can.
Can I Make This Soup Vegan?
Yes, you can make cucumber soup vegan by making the following substitutions:
- replace the rosol broth with water or a veggie broth
- replace the beer cheese with vegan nut cheese
- replace the heavy cream with coconut cream
How Long Can I Store Leftover Cucumber Soup?
Store leftover cucumber soup in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days. If you add cream to the soup, it’s better to finish it in 2 to 3 days.
Creamy Cucumber Soup Recipe
- 4 cups of broth (or water)
- 2.2 lbs / 1 kg of cucumbers
- 7 oz / 200g of cheese spread (club/beer cheese)
- 1 tbsps of grated horseradish
- a bunch or dill
- (optional) 1 cup of heavy cream
- (optional) croutons or peas puff to serve
- Wash the cucumbers, then grate or dice them.
- Cook the cucumbers in broth or water for about 10 minutes.
- Blend everything to get a creamy soup.
- Add cheese spread, grated horseradish, and cook for a while until everything is dissolved and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. If you want the soup to be more creamy, add 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Serve with fresh chopped dill.
- Here's the link to the broth recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g
These data are indicative and calculated by Nutritionix
Pin For Later:
Did you like this creamy cucumber soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below!